High speed rail link route through South East Sheffield

the project will be late, over budget and a waste of time

HS1 (the first High Speed line) was delivered on time and on budget.

Money should have been spent upgrading the current lines, like converting to electric or something.

Money is being spent on those things too - Sheffield - London will be electrified in the next ten years. Plenty of other improvements too. This High Speed line isn't "instead of" anything.

I'm far enough away not to be massively bothered, but whats the point in selling now ? Any solicitor worth their salt will point out the thwacking great railway being put in (assuming at this point the buyer has been living in the amazon rain forest and doesn't know its happening). It's all before my time but killamarsh was surrounded by pits and the evil sarp plant over the years, it's a (former ?) industrial area not the chillterns. If not here, where ?

its about the only village in S21 we`ve not lived in.

Am i alone in not understanding how an exspensive train that gets us to london an hour earlier,is suddenly going to make lots of businesses and commuters move here in droves.Where is the proof for this or is it just what politicans hope and pray will happen.

As for the arguement about nimbys,well i for one don't want this white elephant spoiling areas such as orgreave lakes or rother valley park and i don't feel guilty about saying it.

To sum up in my opinion,it will be too pricey for most to travel on,it will spoil areas it passes through and it won't suddenly bring vasts fortunes into Meadowhall,sorry i meant to say Sheffield.

Ah, someone who cannot see past the end of their nose. 'I probably won't use it personally so therefore there is no point to it'. How do you know it will be too pricey? How do you know it will spoil areas? You don't, you are just making it up.

If you want evidence of the economic effects, two examples of many in this country. When the East Coast Mainline was upgraded with electrification and faster journeys, the London commuter belt extended further north along the line. People now commute to London from places like Newark, Grantham and Peterborough. On the Midland Mainline when the service frequency was increased after new trains were introduced it made places like Kettering and Market Harborough more attractive to commute to London from and have seen a lot of house building along the route of the railway as a result.

Rother Valley Country Park already has railways running alongside it. Whats new? (other than investment in better quality bridges etc).

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 23:55 ----------

Why does some parts of the HS2 debate remind me of this....

To be fair, there's already a main railway line running alongside the Rother Valley so i can't see HS2 making any difference to the people of Sothal or Beighton. A high speed train will be considerably quieter than a diesel loco pulling one of the many freight trains that use the existing line.

As i mentioned on another thread, what i did think was unusual was routing the line at the back of the Aston Manor estate. I imagine last weeks route decision has probably left some of the houses on there unsaleable. Also, i guess that row of small cottages near fence (opposite new factory) will need demolishing to make way for it

When will it open ? 2033 was mentioned I will be 82 by then and wont be able to afford a rail ticket to London if im still around, My kids probably wont be able to afford to use it either. So the question is who is the bloody thing for? We may pay for it through taxes etc, but probably out of average Joe's range of spending power. In the mean time increase the fares on rail to help build it as less people can afford to use it, unless you can claim expenses like poloticians that we pay for in the end. Admit it its another good kicking for average Joe who is being told it's good for him/her.

Next step get all the disabled and unemployed together and hire them some picks and shovels and a good marching song should help towards the new lines at least. What a joke.

Are you so negative about everything in life? To get on and achieve something you need to be positive, to have enerygy, enthusiasm, drive and ambition. You don't give a very positive image of yourself and your family in your post. Don't you have any faith in your kids or yourself? What makes you think you won't be able to afford a ticket?

Are you so negative about everything in life? To get on and achieve something you need to be positive, to have enerygy, enthusiasm, drive and ambition. You don't give a very positive image of yourself and your family in your post. Don't you have any faith in your kids or yourself? What makes you think you won't be able to afford a ticket?

The HS2 is an elite service for the business traveller,and its impact will be to draw resources from the existing services.There will be a two tier two speed system.Your evangelical message will run off the tracks way before this project is completed.and I predict it will be a "grey elephant".

Has it been suggested how much the tickets will cost? How much does joe public think is too expensive for a ticket?

I don't think the upset or expense is worth cutting 30 mins off the journey from this region. My husband already uses the express train to London from Newark or Doncaster when he has meetings in London. He used to drive but it takes too long now and parking is almost impossible.

Looks to me like the railway is going through the middle of the Sitwell Arms?

Right behind Crystal Peaks then.. I feel sorry for the people who live near it. I can't see the point in it anyway to be honest, so I'd not think it's a good thing wherever it was.

It's nowhere near Crystal Peaks?

Has it been suggested how much the tickets will cost? How much does joe public think is too expensive for a ticket?

I don't think the upset or expense is worth cutting 30 mins off the journey from this region. My husband already uses the express train to London from Newark or Doncaster when he has meetings in London. He used to drive but it takes too long now and parking is almost impossible.

Those 30 min will only matter for a few messed up rushed out of balance people.

All that efford for such a little saving in time at such enormous expense.

When that rail comes 90% more is done over internet and all trains will have internet connections.

The real reason government talks about HSR is to make a desperate attempt to manipulate markets and investors making a false make belief picture britain is recovering.

Reality is the economy is doing very bad but the olympics were used to scream of rooftops that employment oportunity's were increasing.

This railway is being used to make a false impression and desperaste attempt of making a false immage of the economic reality of britain.

Britain is not alone, it is going down in line with a lot of other places, there is nothing to be embarassed about. Unfortunately britain is very very worried about its image and will use anything stupid to make a false make belief image to the outside world.

All this talk about HS2 is meaningless, absolutely meaningless and if it gets build it will be far out of date, out of budget and nothing special.