Can Anybody Ever Remember The Smog In Sheffield?

It was awful. The whole area smelt of rusty nails and workmans armpits.

Opines?

Remember it well, thick yellow tinged sulphurous stuff, I went to meet my father coming home from work on South Rd and he walked past me because you couldn't see much more than 3 ft.

Wasn't Rusty Nails also in some Ron Jeremy films?

That's what he said.

"Workman's Armpits" was released in 1989 and Co-Star Rusty Nails was nominated for TOFTL Oscar that year.

I will never forget standing on Manor Top and seeing the smog rolling up Prince of Wales Road.

When it reached the top the sun was switched of instantly and you could not see the other side of the road.

The most eerie thing was when the tram appeared out of the gloom and disappeared in seconds.

I can remember coming home on leave from Merchant Navy 1968 on the train from London (paid for with a rail warrant) For some reason I came in from Rotherham side? but any way you could see it getting darker with heavy smog and could smell Sheffield, but it was still good to come home after 7 months

yes it was horrible used to live at lowedges and still do nice fresh air and greenery,but when i went to relations at attercliffe and shiregreen by bus it was thick and earie as it swarmed around you,now its in china as they produce those types of steels and goods for us,so its still around but not in this country thank you bassett one

I remember it too, I used to live at Carbrook and with all the factories and steelworks down there it was really bad.

Amazingly it never had a bad effect on me health wise.

Edited by francypants

It was awful. The whole area smelt of rusty nails and workmans armpits.

Opines?

Hah! the good old days.:hihi:

lived at pitsmore all the women had their washing on the line first thing monday morning because the steel works had their furnaces off over the weekend.by 12 o clock the smog started building up by 1 o clock all washing was in because of the smell

Iived in the middle of it beside the river .I am 76 and as fit as a fart

It sounds like we are all much better off without that crap from all the steel works.