SIV Membership price increases

alko27

From July 2011 to September 2012 Sheffield International Venues Fitness Unlimited scheme grew to a record 19,365 members.

The introduction of new SIV Sheffield lifeCARD discount sport and leisure loyalty membership scheme attracted 60,000 members.

SIV has also benefited from a variety of national investment for health and medicine.

Yet my membership has gone up £2 a month! An explanation as to what it would be spent on - improving facilities, investing in jobs and training, opening more sites, could have justified it...didn't even get that.

I don't think there's such a thing as loyalty these days, I cancelled my membership there last year, customer service was a joke,machines took ages to be repaired, I'm on about hillsborough l/C.

I think the best option is the no frills gyms.

They have done some 'improvements' at Hillsborough Leisure Centre, although I haven't been since the CV area reopened to see it. I have seen the pictures on Facebook, and it doesn't look much different. But on the other hand, they are closing Stocksbridge Leisure Centre so should be saving some money there.

I am thinking of cancelling my membership with SIV, the Fitspace Gym is half the price at £13.99 a month and is closer to me.

I don't get how SIV are still advertising their membership as being just £6 a week, when it has now increased :huh:

From July 2011 to September 2012 Sheffield International Venues Fitness Unlimited scheme grew to a record 19,365 members.

The introduction of new SIV Sheffield lifeCARD discount sport and leisure loyalty membership scheme attracted 60,000 members.

SIV has also benefited from a variety of national investment for health and medicine.

Yet my membership has gone up £2 a month! An explanation as to what it would be spent on - improving facilities, investing in jobs and training, opening more sites, could have justified it...didn't even get that.

We know from Stocksbridge that the fees only cover about half of the cost of running the gym.

Presumably the staff have had a wage rise in the last year, presumably the electricity bill has gone up in the last year, presumably the insurance has gone up in the last year... how much of a breakdown do you need?

When Tesco put the price of milk up by five pence I don't ask them for an explanation about whether the extra money has been invested in improved checkouts.

If an extra 50p a week is a dealbreaker then fair enough.

They have done some 'improvements' at Hillsborough Leisure Centre, although I haven't been since the CV area reopened to see it. I have seen the pictures on Facebook, and it doesn't look much different. But on the other hand, they are closing Stocksbridge Leisure Centre so should be saving some money there.

I am thinking of cancelling my membership with SIV, the Fitspace Gym is half the price at £13.99 a month and is closer to me.

I don't get how SIV are still advertising their membership as being just £6 a week, when it has now increased :huh:

Hillsborough has got alot of new machines - treadmills, cross trainers etc, in the last couple of weeks.

These new machines have internet access, radio/TV channels and Ipod docks.

I may be mistaken but I thought the purpose of a gym was to exercise not engage in electronic media.

Hillsborough has got alot of new machines - treadmills, cross trainers etc, in the last couple of weeks.

These new machines have internet access, radio/TV channels and Ipod docks.

I may be mistaken but I thought the purpose of a gym was to exercise not engage in electronic media.

The whole CV side has now been replaced with new machines and the other side will be replaced in about 4 weeks' time.

I'm not a huge fan of the internet and games aspect either, but they're very easy to turn off.

• 2 weeks later...
We know from Stocksbridge that the fees only cover about half of the cost of running the gym.

Presumably the staff have had a wage rise in the last year, presumably the electricity bill has gone up in the last year, presumably the insurance has gone up in the last year... how much of a breakdown do you need?

When Tesco put the price of milk up by five pence I don't ask them for an explanation about whether the extra money has been invested in improved checkouts.

If an extra 50p a week is a dealbreaker then fair enough.

Well as my rent has increased, along with the council tax, tv license, energy bills, cost of food, insurance, fuel & pint(!) - £2 is suddenly worth a lot more to me than it used to.