Is Forge Valley a good school?

My daughter is in Y10 and was at Myers Grove before the merger. I actually really like the new FVS. I think the teaching is excellent. The pastoral care is very good and my daughter is behaving better and achieving much more than she was previously.

Hi Beeny, my daughter goes there and loves it, gets involved in lots of activities and has some really enthusiastic and dedicated teachers. I would advise that you visit the school to see if you and children like it as everyone has different views about what they want/expect from a school.

I am involved in the school PTA called Friends of Forge Valley, we have got a Book Swap and coffee morning event at the school on Saturday 9th March between 10am and 12 noon. The Head is also doing tours of the school at 10am and 11am so you may want to pop along. I know that if you contact the school they would also be happy to show you around if you just wanted to visit as an individual.

Hi Beeny, my daughter goes there and loves it, gets involved in lots of activities and has some really enthusiastic and dedicated teachers. I would advise that you visit the school to see if you and children like it as everyone has different views about what they want/expect from a school.

I am involved in the school PTA called Friends of Forge Valley, we have got a Book Swap and coffee morning event at the school on Saturday 9th March between 10am and 12 noon. The Head is also doing tours of the school at 10am and 11am so you may want to pop along. I know that if you contact the school they would also be happy to show you around if you just wanted to visit as an individual.

Ah that's brilliant thanks : )

The FB page is as much to do with us parents being able to vent somewhat to each other as anything else ;)

My main gripe about FV is their over zealous (to my mind) policing of school shoes (absolutely plain, no coloured stitching etc) as my daughter walks 2 miles to school and back and I feel it's much more important for her to be wearing suitable shoes for the journey than ones that might fall apart after a month (been there, done that) just because they fit the bill.

If the kids had lockers they could keep school shoes in there and change when they arrived.

It's far too much to be carrying pe kit, books and a change of shoes every day then having to carry everything around school all day too :|

The school itself I have no problem with.

The facilities are modern and up to date.

Unisex toilets are a fact but this bothers neither myself nor my daughter.

My daughter is in Y9 so we're on the road to GCSEs - fingers crossed :)

There's also a link to a petition on the FB page that we'd hoped to send to David Blunkett's office in an attempt to secure lockers for the kids.

Edited by bestford

Just out of interest, what's their reasoning for not having lockers? You'd think it would be a bit of a no-brainer.

Is this a Sheffield school?In fact Forge Valley has achieved better GCSE results than the Myers Grove school suggesting some improvements have been made.Did you attend MGS regularly?

2011 Myers Grove achieved 52 % five or more good GCSEs including English and Maths. FV achieved 44% in 2012. How is that better?

It's easy to trash a school, especially when it has closed, but please do it with some basis of truth.

I think they simply ran out of money but could be wrong :confused:

There aren't enough seats in the dining area either so I know the kids sometimes have to sit on the floor or take their food outside at lunchtime.......

2011 Myers Grove achieved 52 % five or more good GCSEs including English and Maths. FV achieved 44% in 2012. How is that better?

It's easy to trash a school, especially when it has closed, but please do it with some basis of truth.

NO NO NO Mg scored 52% for GCSE OR THEIR EQUIVALENT,but only 42% for good GCSEs.

To make matters worse I have defended the school in earlier posts,a second area of reporting inaccuracy.

I think we will agree that 42 and 44pc are so close as to have no significance given the issues of transition,and the fact that the GCSE pass rate fell nationally.

Theres still a problem with bullying , This does not seem to get sorted

To add with all the other problems that others have stated

Id say a long long way to go (as i expected:P;)) before this school goes anywhere:rolleyes:

About to become a Acadamy that speaks volumes :roll:

It is but, from a slightly different angle, the head from Tapton will be overseeing it - was pretty impressed when we met him at the information evening.

I understand he has been jointly responsible for turning several Sheffield schools around........ :)

Does anybody know what Forge Valley school is like? We are moving house and may be in that catchment. With the school only being opened recently there is no OFSTED or anything as yet so I have no idea whether it is a good school or not.

there did fail ofsted and there are starting to get other teachers who are more experienced apparently so there dont fail it again there have got one more year to turn it around so this time i think it will pass with flying colours