How many jobs did you have as a youth?

I’m asking this question because I want to know whether I might be the holder of a useless record. I started work at 14, as office boy at the YMCA Fargate. Actually, before that I delivered newspaper for a shop at the bottom of Nether Edge Road, but that doesn’t count. I also worked at the Sheffield Forge and Rolling Mill, Hadfield’s (more for experience than the money), Ambrose Shardlows, a variety of building firms, and two companies (can’t remember their names) which produced rock bits. In my spare time I also pulled pints and waited on at a Working Men’s Club but cannot for the life of me remember its name. It was a short way past Wednesday’s football club and on the same side just after the road turned. I enjoyed that because I could watch the turns and earn money at the same time. The tips were quite good too!

I also worked at the Sheffield Star in a profession which I eventually followed up in Manchester with a degree of success. I stayed in the furniture department at Atkinsons until I was sacked! It was a boring job anyway. And I also worked for a firm of steel wholesalers, but was sacked again for being a ‘Communist’. They had a staff of about six, and we were sitting at lunch talking about space travel and which country would achieve it first. I said I thought it might be Russia because of their advance in technology. The supervisor overheard our conversation, and on the Friday gave me my cards and P45 and told me they didn’t want any b----y Communists working there!

With the building firms I worked for, I put all the floors in Lewis’s, I mixed cement for bricklayers working on the Hackenthorpe estate, I put the pavements down on a new road on an estate at Stocksbridge, and help to construct a new road at Ecclesfield. Can’t think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I’ll keep you posted!

Not a youth, but coming out the army at 23 and 5yrs later I was told Iwas iwas to old to get a job which a boy could do , and for little money,So had 20 jobs in 1yr,every low paid dirty & stinking job going, slow improvment each time,it took 4-5yrs but i was a very hard worker.

Hi, it’s PeterW again! I knew if I slept on it I’d think of one or two more places I worked. There was a place on Stalker Lees Road that made piston rings, but can’t remember their name. And there was another place, almost gone from my memory. It was quite close to the old Sheffield Forge and Rolling Mills and they made the most peculiar chisels. And then there was a ‘bread and fat’ shop — can’t remember where — that made buffs for buffing wheels. I spent all day cutting cloth! A very worthwhile occupation, I don’t think! Oh! Yes! And for a while — a very short while — I worked at Sheffield Hide and Skin, throwing cow hides on top of each other until I realised it wasn’t a labourer they wanted, it was a small crane. Those skins weren’t half heavy!

13 - Paperboy

14 - Cut Price Carpets, Blonk Street (Sales)

15 - Wollertons Decorators (Apprentice)

16 - Dennis Kidgell, Decorators (Apprentice)

17 - Greenstreets Photographics (Darkroom Technician)

18 to 19 NCB (Clerk), BSC (Clerk), Templeborough Rolling Mills (Clerk)

20 - Butlins, Pwhelli - (Barman)

20 to 21- A. Pinder Ltd (Camera Operator) + Hogs Head, Hackenthorpe (Barman)

22 to 39 - Edward Pryors (got married)

ive only had 1 real job.............been there about 10 months now :)

doing well

i had no jobs at all till i was 19 :(

i went through a phase:hihi:

Hi Katy — when I left Sheffield for Manchester I went through a similar phase. I waited until I had spent all my money, then got a job. It didn’t take long. I left with four shillings, the train fare was 3s.9d., a cup of tea in Woolworths cost me twopence so I only had one old penny to my name!

And ARTISAN - Overnight I’ve thought of two mores place I worked! One was on Wentworth Street where they made 20-foot long shear blades. It was good money and I thnk it was called Sir Ronald Matthews. He was also a director of the London and North Eastern Railway. And finally — I think — a very old-fashioned firm on Stalker Lees Road. They made piston rings, but what I remember most is that wages were paid in some sort of a steel cylinder!

I give up, PK! Your 22 jobs beats me! But mine were between the ages of 14 and 19. As far as I’m concerned the unenviable record is yours.

Hi — it’s peterw again. Just been posting on another site and it’s reminded me of one more place where I worked in Sheffield during the war. Lovely people to work for and a good place to work, but alas I made a mistake in my life and if I hadn’t I might have been a retired wholsesale furniture salesman or even higher! Hancock and Lant was the place. I noticed just after the war they’s moved to a site near Lady’s Bridge. When I worked for them their warehouse was near Bridge Street. Does anyone remember it?

Am only 23 now and have to admit I haven't had that many jobs

13-14 Paper round and babysitting 5 nights a week, got £20 for that, the mum went to a cleaning job 5-7.30 bet she gave me half her wages.

15-16 I worked in a nursery, it was a work based learning thing for the naughty teenagers, the nursery was Workstation childrens centre above the showroom.

16-17 I was a office junior/receptionist:gag:

18-19 and a half ish I worked in club Wow, loved that, even pregnant it was fun.

Since then I have worked at been a mum and have gone to do GCSE/ A-levels and uni (boyfriend works for me:) )

In between the ages of 15 and 20 I had 11 jobs - not a world record but not bad. They were all crap

At 20 I joined the army and had 1 job for 20 years - 20 years of not growing up!! It was great