What would get you to walk to Hillsborough?

I don't live that far away, but I rarely visit for shopping purposes. Occasionally I need something from Wilco's, like a bucket or a CO alarm (the last thing I bought). I go to the post office, into the Java Lounge and on occasion to Boots.

Sometimes I walk down, if I have the time, other times I drive, particularly if I'm making the trip in my lunch hour when working at home.

One of them is Taplin Road, the other...can't remember the name either.

Both are residential streets.

Not sure the residents would be impressed!

I ask you....would you want a street market outside your front door?

The idea is good, but I say again.....where?

Without causing nuisance to residents.

It depends what you mean by nuisance. Some people may like the vibrancy of a street market outside their homes and prefer it to traffic going past all day. Hillsborough Road would be ideal for this kind of occasional market depending on the resident's reactions. Failing that, the open space behind the former Mann's fish shop would be ideal with entrances both from Hillsborough Road itself and Holme Lane.

There needs to be parking to attract some shoppers who don't live clode by. I live on the other side of Sheffield and went to Hillsborough to have a look round......never again! There isn't anywhere to park. I haven't got time to keep driving round trying to find a parking space.

The empty bit in the co-op could be used for numerous things, art weekend showcasing local artists, mini indoor market, skills workshop.

The market idea seems like the best one to me Ron. Good luck with it, nice to see local traders getting together to promote their area.

Thanks. We're trying ;)

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 11:13 ----------

The empty bit in the co-op could be used for numerous things, art weekend showcasing local artists, mini indoor market, skills workshop.

Added to the list ;-) This would depend on the Co-Op being open to persuasion.....

Keep 'em coming folks. The bigger the list of ideas, the better chance we've got of achieving something :hihi:

I've always thought Hillsborough Road would be ideal for a street market spilling out from the open space behind the former Mann's fish shop. The street could be recobbled (the ones under the worn tarmac still look pretty good) and parking restricted throughout the day.:)

That is a great idea. We use Hillsborough nearly everyday for shopping. I prefer Coop to Morrisons if I can get away with it as I can't stand that queues and awful shelf stacking. Anyway, I saw the ad for the treasure hunt, but to be honest, my kids loathe shopping, so it wasn't a massive draw for them. I would be keen on the street market and so would my daughter. What about a carboot style event to lick off with, people seem to love those. You'd have to work out which carpark firm to target to let you use it for free early one morning.

Very unlikely as the CO-OP plan is too demolish the rear half of the building and just have the post office and supermarket in the current bit that Burtons rent.

When this work will start in anyones guess in the current high street market.

May be a Hillsborough History trail is worth looking at.

Edited by silverknight

No. Can't remember the names, but the two to the right as you approach the tram gate heading towards town, one had Manns fishmongers on it.

Hillsborough Place,Taplin Road both ideal for markets.

Surprised that the Highways Dept remit is to encourage people to walk more, surely it should be to manage the Highways in an efficient way that people want?

Nothing better than a good walk to clear the cobwebs!

No problems parrking then.

Nothing better than a good walk to clear the cobwebs!

No problems parrking then.

Totally agree - I've walked down Hillsborough to work today.

Unfortunately the cars queing from Hillsborough Corner to past Malin Bridge show that alot of people don,t want to clear the cobwebs.

I used to live up that way and used to walk mostly. However, since I moved away, I have no reason to walk up there. I am not sure what, if anything could get me walking up there again. I mean, Hillsborough is not unique and I can easily walk somewhere else to get the things what I want and need.

A bomb scare at Stannington, Loxley and B and Q penisrone Rd