Sheffield Council Parking Services Are An Absolute Disgrace

I do not know the legality of using CCTV without specific warning, but I do not see why it should make any difference. If someone is parked illegally, they are parked illegally. Why should it matter whether they are caught by someone on foot, someone who drives from area to area giving out tickets or an automatic camera which takes a picture as someone drives past.

An adjudicator at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal a ruling after a motorist appealed against a £50 fine from Southend Council. In his ruling, James Richardson, a Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator, said: "The sensitive nature of evidence gathered by CCTV is specifically considered and addressed by the guidance issued by the Government. Recommendation is made that such devices are only used where enforcement is difficult, sensitive or enforcement by wardens is not practical."

I agree that it shouldnt make a difference. PROVIDED the council are following the rules for such use. My points are therefore valid I feel in questionning if :

1. Sheffield City Council using the mobile camera at other locations, other than the ones they say they are using it at on their website. If so, should they be?

2. I dont know what the guidance on CCTV use issued by the governement mentioned in the ruling above is but if its not advertised as used or there are no warnings in place re CCTV is this legal?

3. Legislation allows councils to use this equipment in problem areas, where enforcement is difficult or sensitive or civil parking enforcement officer enforcement is not practical. Does Eccleshall Road fall into this category, if not then are SCC breaching legislation. (Sorry, I havent reviewed the legislation this is just an overview from google).

I'm glad I've managed to rile you, surprised you have admitted to it, hey success at last ;)

Whilst you may seek to be provocative, I can assure you that your success in "riling" me is purely hypebole and wishful thinking on your own behalf. It was clear from the onset that you had nothing constructive to add to the conversation, which is merely why I elicited to engage you further in order to expose that very fact. You took the bait. You only had to say that you support vulture parking attendants in the first place dear. :twisted:

mike84 seems to know a lot about parking rules, perhaps he can tell us if Parking Services Staff are allowed to park illegally on double/single yellow lines while they ticket and persecute other motorists? Please don't deny this happens because I've seen it myself.

My knowledge of parking rules comes from knowing the details in the highway code and being able to read signs that are displayed where there are parking restrictions. Parking on single yellow lines is permitted at certain times / days of the week (check the signs). Also, id guess that parking services vehicles are exempt from restrictions if they are issuing someone a ticket.

My knowledge of parking rules comes from knowing the details in the highway code and being able to read signs that are displayed where there are parking restrictions. Parking on single yellow lines is permitted at certain times / days of the week (check the signs). Also, id guess that parking services vehicles are exempt from restrictions if they are issuing someone a ticket.

So that means that one set of workers who are merely pushing a pen are exempt, where as people who are lifting heavy loads I.E. builders etc are fined on regular basis for just doing their jobs.

Totally anal if it was, causing no obstruction whatsover, you may well be right as I doubt these pillocks will take into common a sense approach or mitigating circumstances.

to be fair, with your attitude, every time I saw your name you`d be to the back of the queue.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 08:52 ----------

I suppose you never break the speed limit either. :roll:

i don`t, no .................

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 08:54 ----------

mike84 seems to know a lot about parking rules, perhaps he can tell us if Parking Services Staff are allowed to park illegally on double/single yellow lines while they ticket and persecute other motorists? Please don't deny this happens because I've seen it myself.

I assume others have already told you - yes, of course they are (and it`s not persecution - stop been so melodramatic)

Edited by gym_rat

Currently contesting 4 totally unjust tickets and waiting for a Parking Permit to be sent out despite it been fully accepted and paid for, I am even willing to collect the permit myself from their office at 48 Garden Street next to Croft house just up from old West Bar Police Station but it’s no longer allowed.

To clarify my situation to you all, firstly my application for a Permit has been accepted, I have paid them, received confirmation and the money has definitely left my account, they have all the insurance documents for the drivers allowed to use the vehicle along with solid proof of where myself and my brother lives.

Today they told us it was sent out first class on Friday 18th, I seriously doubt it.

It was a momentous hoop jumping exercise just to even get to the stage of been accepted for this Parking Permit, in October 2012 we sent them the forms, insurance documents, proof of where we live and after 3 months I went to their office on Garden Street myself with all the information again and had to demand a receipt to say it was all now done and now completed.

The PCN’s are from last August 2012 and 3 from Dec and January 2012/13 because I haven’t received a parking permit yet despite displaying the reference number which is supposed to stop tickets been issued, the other is for our car front end covering a double yellow in the snow despite it been well within side the bay and causing no obstructions to anyone or anything.

Speaking to them today after waiting 25 minutes they firstly said my first appeal rejection letter was sent out on the 12th December, an excellent service at only 3 months but yet if only this was the case aswe have received nothing whatsoever.

Sheffield Parking Services routinely lied to us, not done their administrative duties and the only correspondence is a charge certificate for £105.00

Sheffield City Council Parking services are an absolute disgrace, they’re the lowest of the low and incapable of doing the simplest of administrative duties, they do not provide any service whatsoever.

I am now going to make a formal complaint to the Manager of Parking Services Kevan Butt, Head Of Transport & Highways John Bann and contact my local 3 Sharrow Councillors.

If you anyone else has been treated appallingly by SCC Parking Services please get in touch as I’d like to know your story and highlight how terribly frustrating, incompetent and downright disgraceful their‘service’ is.

Tar for reading I feel a tad better, plus the bag of jelly tots and a good joint may also have helped:).

Is anyone going to actually take you seriously though when you cleverly admit on the forum that "a good joint has helped".

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 08:56 ----------

Whilst you may seek to be provocative, I can assure you that your success in "riling" me is purely hypebole and wishful thinking on your own behalf. It was clear from the onset that you had nothing constructive to add to the conversation, which is merely why I elicited to engage you further in order to expose that very fact. You took the bait. You only had to say that you support vulture parking attendants in the first place dear. :twisted:

I have a feeling that Ceecee was talking to Penistone and not yourself, don't think they are bothered if they have riled you or not :hihi:

It’s. :wave:

which other laws do you choose not to obey - hmm?

be honest now.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 08:58 ----------

Do their duties include popping in the chippy at lunchtime whilst parked on double Yellows outside . ?

thats a perk of the job.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 09:03 ----------

. There are no warnings to say CCTV may be used.

DPA - there doesnt have to be if used to investigate a specific incident.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 09:06 ----------

So that means that one set of workers who are merely pushing a pen are exempt, where as people who are lifting heavy loads I.E. builders etc are fined on regular basis for just doing their jobs.

called life ................

I agree that it shouldnt make a difference. PROVIDED the council are following the rules for such use. My points are therefore valid I feel in questionning if :

1. Sheffield City Council using the mobile camera at other locations, other than the ones they say they are using it at on their website. If so, should they be?

They are using it at the locations mentioned on their website. It has to get from A to B so it will be seen elsewhere. Most of the locations are school entrances and the contraventions wil occur at school arriving and leaving times, so it may well be seen regularly on routes to and from particular schools

2. I dont know what the guidance on CCTV use issued by the governement mentioned in the ruling above is but if its not advertised as used or there are no warnings in place re CCTV is this legal?

The government requirements are that use of the system has to be well advertised and that CCTV enforcement repeater signs are present. That's why you see a list of locations on the website. Use of the camera will be rolled out more widely when the correct signs are in place.

3. Legislation allows councils to use this equipment in problem areas, where enforcement is difficult or sensitive or civil parking enforcement officer enforcement is not practical. Does Eccleshall Road fall into this category, if not then are SCC breaching legislation. (Sorry, I havent reviewed the legislation this is just an overview from google).

The legislation allows the use of the camera vehicle where enforcement by CEO's on foot is difficult. One of the problems CEO's face, particularly when enforcing clearways is that there are a lot of drive offs. On peak hour clearways, drivers who want to park when the clearway ends (usually 9.30) often turn up maybe 15 minutes earlier than that, but sit in their cars and drive off if they see a CEO. There are other locations where a number of drivers park in contravention, but when CEO's turn up and start ticketing one of them, the other drivers rush out adn move off, only to return immediately the CEO goes away. It si locations like this where the camera vehicle will be most useful.

there seems to be alot of irregularaties with the ops comments

'I am even willing to collect the permit myself from their office at 48 Garden Street next to Croft house just up from old West Bar Police Station but it’s no longer allowed.'

Parking Services does not have a public reception, if you was allowed to get them previously you would have been told it was a one one off.

'Today they told us it was sent out first class on Friday 18th, I seriously doubt it.'

Im sure their records will show the print date, under the freedom of information act you could obtain these details.

'It was a momentous hoop jumping exercise just to even get to the stage of been accepted for this Parking Permit, in October 2012 we sent them the forms, insurance documents, proof of where we live and after 3 months I went to their office on Garden Street myself with all the information again and had to demand a receipt to say it was all now done and now completed.'

If they received your application, I cant see any reason why it wouldnt have been processed. its safe to assume that these documents have never been received. I definately dont understand why you waited 3 months to chase your permit when the application states 5 working days and I received mine within 4 days of posting.

'The PCN’s are from last August 2012 and 3 from Dec and January 2012/13 because I haven’t received a parking permit yet despite displaying the reference number which is supposed to stop tickets been issued.'

Temporary reference numbers are valid for a period of 14 days which you would have been informed at the time of obtaining the reference number or; the reference number wasnt clearly displayed if obtained within the 14 day period.' either way it was your failings. When I changed my vehicle I was given a temp number, shock horror, I didnt get a ticket as I correctly displayed the reference number until my new permit arrived.

'Speaking to them today after waiting 25 minutes they firstly said my first appeal rejection letter was sent out on the 12th December, an excellent service at only 3 months but yet if only this was the case aswe have received nothing whatsoever.

Sheffield Parking Services routinely lied to us, not done their administrative duties and the only correspondence is a charge certificate for £105.00'

Again im sure under the freedom of information act you can request a screen print of the date letters were printed. You received a Charge Certificate which means you've not received the rejection letter or notice to owner x4 charges = 8 letters. I find it hard to believe that youve not received 8 letters prior to the charge certificate, even royal mail arnt that incompetant in not delivering 8 letters on seperate dates.

'Sheffield City Council Parking services are an absolute disgrace, they’re the lowest of the low and incapable of doing the simplest of administrative duties, they do not provide any service whatsoever.'

As previously stated, I received my permit within 4 days as I sent the documents by recorded delivery and provided all of the correct documents. you are obviously incapable of taking responsibility and/or following basic instructions.

'I am now going to make a formal complaint to the Manager of Parking Services Kevan Butt, Head Of Transport & Highways John Bann and contact my local 3 Sharrow Councillors.'

= because im trying to put the blame on everyone else, i've spat the dummy out and will contact everyone to try and get off parking fines for parking within 'permit holder bays' without displaying a valid permit. knowing how the council works, Ive worked for doncaster council enough time to know, John will forward your comments onto kevin, kevin will look at them and tell you basically what ive said using less derogative words and a copy will be sent to the councillors also outlining the fact councillors cannot intermeddle with this stuff as a tried and tested appeals process in in place. done believe me..... ask you councillors to contact John to ask him this question, if hes in the know he will set them straight.

Edited by observant

there seems to be alot of irregularaties with the ops comments ...

And there seems to be a lot of your opinion in your post - very little of which identifies or has relevance to these so called irregularities

ok my choice of word 'irregularaties' may not entirely be the right choice, however, when I mention irregularaties, im refering the several comments made regarding parking services not being able to action basic administration duties. If the op takes the case to adjudication, im sure the council can account for all documents received and issued which will be kept either electronically or by hard copy for the last 5 years. im refering the irregularities of the op not chasing his permit for 3 months when the app states 5 days.

There's alot of my opinion from my personal experience of living within a permit area and obtaining residential permits for the last 4 years and of course working first hand experience of working within the parking enforcement environment. Im confident all my comments have relevance to this post.

Is anyone going to actually take you seriously though when you cleverly admit on the forum that "a good joint has helped".

Maybe they smoked a joint before they parked the car too?:)