Sheffield Council Parking Services Are An Absolute Disgrace

Oh I understood that, hence my post :hihi:

If comprehension was not a problem for you, then why contradict the premise of your own comment? :huh:

Or maybe its their double standards that riles us mere motorists . :)

I'm glad I've managed to rile you, surprised you have admitted to it, hey success at last ;)

Hi, my first post on Sf after moving to sharrow . I recently got done on club garden rd. There used to be some "exempt" places at the bottom of the rd by the phone box, then the council painted a single yellow line by the area and started slapping tickets on all cars that were parked there.

There were no previous warning notices of a change coming about, and i assumed a single yellow line was "no parking in rush hour" etc. I got done at 11.05 on a saturday morning.

It may be my ignorance on the laws etc, but i did genuinely assume i was ok at that time on a saturday. Anyway, i got 28 days to pay, and if i pay within 14 days its reduced to £35.

SO... a heads up to anyone thinking of contesting a ticket...Although you have 28 days to pay, if you wish to appeal, you must do so within the 14 days. I didnt, i did not research, or read my ticket properly and was about to appeal at the last moment, day 26...I cant. Simple.

I am sure i am not the only one to make this error, so if you genuinely think you have grounds to appeal, do so straight away..

Maybe he or she has, maybe they just accept consequences instead of bellyaching about it on here....

Spot on :)

If the parking restriction indicators (signage, lines) were obscured by snow, or incomplete (i.e. dotted double yellows), and you can prove it (photographic evidence) then you may be able to appeal.

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 13:32 ----------

Hi, my first post on Sf after moving to sharrow . I recently got done on club garden rd. There used to be some "exempt" places at the bottom of the rd by the phone box, then the council painted a single yellow line by the area and started slapping tickets on all cars that were parked there.

There were no previous warning notices of a change coming about, and i assumed a single yellow line was "no parking in rush hour" etc. I got done at 11.05 on a saturday morning...

Contact the council and ask for details of the announcement of change in parking restrictions as I am sure (but Planner1 could confirm) that any change to restrictions within a scheme must be publicly advertised before introduction.

Failure to do this means the restrictions have been illegally introduced - they have done this before...

Yes I got a ticket supposidly parked in an area that I was never in. I asked for photographixc evidence as I was in a completely different area of sheffield on the day and they said that they didn't have to provide this and all they needed was a copy of my tax disc. Eh? How does this prove where I was?

I personally used to think that these parking police got a bad rep, but now I just pity them all.

I’m sure I recall seeing articles where people had successfully challenged parking fines where the yellow lines had partially warn away. Also, where the small perpendicular line showing the end of the restricted area was missing or damaged. Also, where road works had cut through the lines and the final tarmac had not been repainted. That was many years ago. I’ve not seen anything similar recently, so I don’t know how valid it is now, or what the exact reason for let off was then.

I also regularly see that parking services van with the camera on the roof driving up and down in rush hour, that must catch a fair few out.

With regards to the van with the camera. According to this link these are enforceable from Mid Jan but the website does say:

Mobile CCTV cameras are in operation (see the locations below) with tickets issued by post. This is to prevent persistent illegal parking, which is difficult to enforce by current foot patrols. Our aim in using vehicle mounted CCTV cameras is to provide a deterrent so that fewer vehicles continue to park illegally.

Locations

Spital Hill

Bawtry Road (Tinsley |Junior School)

Crowder Avenue (Southey Green Community Primary School)

Dyche Lane (Meadowhead School)

Greenhill Main Road (Greenhill Primary)

Handsworthgrange Road (Handsworth Grange Community Sports College)

Reney Road (Greenhill Primary)

Whiteways Road (Whiteways Primary)

Raisen Hall Road (Longley Primary School

Lydgate Lane (Lydgate Infants school)

Shore Lane (Lydgate Junior School)

High Storrs Road (High Storrs School)

Arglye Close (Carfield Primary School)

Rodney Hill (Loxley Primary)

Ringinglow Road (High Storrs School)

My question therefore is - are Sheffield City Council using the mobile camera at other locations? Has anyone received a PCN for other locations? Has anyone challenged this? If its not advertised as used elsewhere or there are no warnings in place re CCTV is this legal? I see from google there have been challenges around this where people have won their case.

The other reason I ask is that the poster mentioned specifically seeing it on Eccleshall Road at rush hour which isnt a location listed. There are no warnings to say CCTV may be used.

How many mobile units does Sheffield have, does anyone know? If they are aimed at school locations why are they on Eccie Road at school times.

It seems that the council may have brought in the vehicles to target specific locations (schools) but have veered into using it on other locations to issue as many tickets as possible. Obviously, I may be wrong.

I’m sure I recall seeing articles where people had successfully challenged parking fines where the yellow lines had partially warn away. Also, where the small perpendicular line showing the end of the restricted area was missing or damaged. Also, where road works had cut through the lines and the final tarmac had not been repainted. That was many years ago. I’ve not seen anything similar recently, so I don’t know how valid it is now, or what the exact reason for let off was then.

I imagine that the reason was that because the markings were non-conforming, legally they meant nothing.

If the parking restriction indicators (signage, lines) were obscured by snow, or incomplete (i.e. dotted double yellows), and you can prove it (photographic evidence) then you may be able to appeal.

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 13:32 ----------

Contact the council and ask for details of the announcement of change in parking restrictions as I am sure (but Planner1 could confirm) that any change to restrictions within a scheme must be publicly advertised before introduction.

Failure to do this means the restrictions have been illegally introduced - they have done this before...

Hi, im sure they have done this before, but my problem is that i did not realise that any appeal has to be made within 14 days, and not the 28 day payment period. So i guess i am now stuffed and have to pay the full £70. Its my fault i know, i should have dealt with it, but what really cheeses me off is a car is parked in a bay, a public / permit bay with a tax disc that expired 31 december and nothing is done.

With regards to the van with the camera. According to this link these are enforceable from Mid Jan but the website does say:

Mobile CCTV cameras are in operation (see the locations below) with tickets issued by post. This is to prevent persistent illegal parking, which is difficult to enforce by current foot patrols. Our aim in using vehicle mounted CCTV cameras is to provide a deterrent so that fewer vehicles continue to park illegally.

Locations

Spital Hill

My question therefore is - are Sheffield City Council using the mobile camera at other locations? Has anyone received a PCN for other locations? Has anyone challenged this? If its not advertised as used elsewhere or there are no warnings in place re CCTV is this legal? I see from google there have been challenges around this where people have won their case.

The other reason I ask is that the poster mentioned specifically seeing it on Eccleshall Road at rush hour which isnt a location listed. There are no warnings to say CCTV may be used.

How many mobile units does Sheffield have, does anyone know? If they are aimed at school locations why are they on Eccie Road at school times.

It seems that the council may have brought in the vehicles to target specific locations (schools) but have veered into using it on other locations to issue as many tickets as possible. Obviously, I may be wrong.

I do not know the legality of using CCTV without specific warning, but I do not see why it should make any difference. If someone is parked illegally, they are parked illegally. Why should it matter whether they are caught by someone on foot, someone who drives from area to area giving out tickets or an automatic camera which takes a picture as someone drives past.

They are trying to stop people parking illegally. It doesn’t matter whether it’s people parking dangerously outside schools (although this is a particular problem) or blocking Ecclesall Rd bus lane at busy times, there is a cost in enforcing the parking/waiting restrictions. It seems common sense to me to use the most cost effective means of doing this. A car with CCTV can get around the hot spots a lot quicker than people on foot, and can therefore hit several hot spots in one short period. Surely it is better to attend each hot spot regularly than to do it only once every few weeks.

Locations

Spital Hill

They should send it round to the mosque near Queens Road...