MOT emissions fail/manifold change

I have a somewhat chavvy(!) but nice little Puma which has just failed an emissions test. The previous owner removed the cat and added a race manifold, as well as an after market exhaust.

So either I need a nice MOT chap or a friendly mechanic to make a few changes (happy to be a helping hand, although I've never delved this deep into repairs/changes before).

That's your issue, a de-cat will always fail. I know of a few people that de-cat their cars and then re attach them on MOT day, so it passes, then take them back off. The bad news is, you will need cat, and they can be costly.

Like others have said mate no cat no mot sorry lol on the other note I have a garage in Sheffield and if you need it replacing give me a shout my number is 07554018623

My car always gets through the emissions even though it was born in 1995. The technicians do fiddle with it a bit at no extra cost, but it gets through.

I have a cat on my other puma which is off the road and retired. It's probably pretty old but it'd do the job for an mot.

so how did the first owner get it through its m.o.t

The original exhaust would have had a cat on it, if it has been, as the owner says ''chavved'' up then it sounds like the previous owner knew what to do. It's likely he'll have replaced the cat with a straight through pipe, then when it comes to MOT day, put the cat back in place so it passed. It happens all the time these days.

The original exhaust would have had a cat on it, if it has been, as the owner says ''chavved'' up then it sounds like the previous owner knew what to do. It's likely he'll have replaced the cat with a straight through pipe, then when it comes to MOT day, put the cat back in place so it passed. It happens all the time these days.

I take it you know nothing about cars.

I take it you know nothing about cars.

Not really, just bits and pieces I've read online and herd people talk about :) Like I said from what I know, de-cat's aren't un-common.

Dodgy garage,probably " a mate"

---------- Post added 31-01-2013 at 19:24 ----------

There was a car on Auto trader a couple of week back.

A 2012 Suzuki Swift sport with only a few miles.

The owner was selling it for £9995 but said the engine warning light was on because he'd taken the cat off.....

What an idiot.

Not really, just bits and pieces I've read online and herd people talk about :) Like I said from what I know, de-cat's aren't un-common.

This one has had an aftermarket special manifold/exhaust system fitted a std kat will only fit the original design exhaust system.The cheapest work round is to obtain a complete secondhand system from a breaker yard and hope the kat and lamba sensor still work.Another problem with de-kats is three points for a defective exhaust/high emissions if pulled by the police.

---------- Post added 31-01-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Dodgy garage,probably " a mate"

---------- Post added 31-01-2013 at 19:24 ----------

There was a car on Auto trader a couple of week back.

A 2012 Suzuki Swift sport with only a few miles.

The owner was selling it for £9995 but said the engine warning light was on because he'd taken the cat off.....

What an idiot.

What do these people think they will gain by taking the kat off the difference in performance will be negligible