Star article- A Divided City.. see what you want to see

I don't know what you think gentrifying means, maybe you could explain it?

Gentrifying means going back to Victorian standards, whereby the well to do dictate how the poor should live and go about their daily lives ! Nothing to do with the poor prospering and doing better for themselves !

Government policy can only change that !..... Who you vote for alters the outcome to some degree !

eg rich doing well under Tories ...poor doing badly.

To gentrify means nothing more than the rich controlling the poor !

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 18:15 ----------

Your previous posts and suggestions do nothing more than condone Division... re-read them ! Dirty words ? Negative connotations ? As for Gentrifying, you surely know the answer to that in your own little mind !!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:11 ----------

Clap Clap Clap you are doing your'e bit ! (seriously) and I cant fault you whatsoever ! What about the rest of us ? We Dont want you to subsidise us but look at government plans !!!!!! We are We scroungers !!!! that want to rob you blind !!! so watch out !!!!!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:20 ----------

Quisq I imagine you know what stuffs all about. 645 only cares about Hillsborough !!!!! and gentrififying area that dont stand up to his mark !!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:49 ----------

So you work and maintain your business to the highest standards ? Maybe you could cut costs by cutting back on adverts ? cutting back on overheads ? after all your customers want the cheapest job possible at the best rates and best VFM.

And yet you continue to overcharge, give your absolute lowest prices.... Dont go above Sluggers head.... He aint daft !!!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 20:12 ----------

How can so many believe him so wrong !!! Give us the truth !!!!!!!!!

For you Andy.. I cant afford to run a car !!! GET REAL.

Many people actually choose where they want to live. I know people living in the E and N of Sheffield who have lived there all their life and stick close to the family and would never want to move.

Personally, if I had a budget for a house I would always buy smaller in a better area with less crime, better facilities, close access to the Peaks rather than a bigger house in a less serviced area.

The people who commissioned this report should factor that in.

Working hard and saving for a house is an option if you are driven and for some they are happy to stay where they are.Its not always to do with deprivation.

Also the difference in life expectancy hinges on many people knowing that smoking, drinking and overeating reduces their life expectancies but they know that and want to do it anyway.Again , down to personal choice.

Edited by espadrille

What a ridiculous spectacle! The Editor of that pathetic paper sitting around a table with other worthies, furrowing their brows and tut-tutting that there's are differences across areas of Sheffield, before driving their Jaguars home to the comfortable suburbs for a g&t after a hard day's hot air. The answer to all our needs - another platform for self-important windbags.

So the Star tells us people in Millhouses live in more pleasant, more expensive homes than elsewhere. So what? The people of Millhouses didn't steal their houses! They actually went out and earned the money to buy them, and good luck to them.

As for poor health and reduced lifespans blighting those living outside the sanctuary of Millhouses, could alcohol and drug abuse, not sub-standard medical care, have anything to do with it?

If ever there was a pointless and two-faced campaign for a newspaper to take up, this is it. Only days after this rubbish appeared, The Star brings out a feeble business magazine sucking up to the fat cats of the Cutlers Company. Fairness? More like hypocrisy.

Gentrifying means going back to Victorian standards, whereby the well to do dictate how the poor should live and go about their daily lives ! Nothing to do with the poor prospering and doing better for themselves !

Government policy can only change that !..... Who you vote for alters the outcome to some degree !

eg rich doing well under Tories ...poor doing badly.

To gentrify means nothing more than the rich controlling the poor !

-

That's not the commonly understood meaning, which might explain why you got a bit funny about the term.

What I understand it to mean is that an area becomes more middle class, possibly through external investment improving facilities, but largely driven by changing demographics as people move into the area, house prices rise as the area becomes more desirable, the demographic continues to change, the average income goes up, maybe more investment happens, etc.. It's generally considered to be a good thing as the facilities in an area improve and typically crime would fall.

That's not the commonly understood meaning, which might explain why you got a bit funny about the term.

What I understand it to mean is that an area becomes more middle class, possibly through external investment improving facilities, but largely driven by changing demographics as people move into the area, house prices rise as the area becomes more desirable, the demographic continues to change, the average income goes up, maybe more investment happens, etc.. It's generally considered to be a good thing as the facilities in an area improve and typically crime would fall.

That sums up my understanding of gentrification of an area. Often these areas can be identified by the number of skips outside!