Star article- A Divided City.. see what you want to see

This really is sickeningly poor journalism.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/the-star-says/can-sheffield-be-a-city-of-fairness-1-5364664

Look at how the photos are meant to show the divide. What they actually show is that the establishment on Ecclesall Road takes pride in their frontage and has spent a small amount of money on some planters/compost/plants and have had the foresight to move the eyesores of the bins round the back whereas the establishment in Burngreave basically can't be ar**d and has left his eyesore bins outside his main entrance when, by spending a small amount of money, he could have a few cheap planters outside (or even make them himself) to enhance his property.

However the whole point of pleading poverty is that you have to look poor as well otherwise you're not going to get the social engineering that allows you to keep your 'can't be ar**d to improve my own life' attitude.

Or am I just being really cynical now?:huh:

But if folks in Burngreave are short of a couple of quid to pay the pizza delivery man there's always that handy sofa on the front "lawn" that's guaranteed to have a bit of coin down the back of it.

this is a good illustration...http://t.co/fiaCe0v5

Makes me wonder why there is so much talk about a north/south divide in Sheffield, this looks very much like an east/west thing to me (which is what you'd historically expect from patterns of urbanisation in this country).

I've gone further out than Sheff. on that and it seems that they are just highlighting council estates...? At least in my area that's the case..the kids go to the same schools as all the others in our village and we all have the same shops and facilities..how can some areas be deprived and not others in this small district?

I've gone further out than Sheff. on that and it seems that they are just highlighting council estates...? At least in my area that's the case..the kids go to the same schools as all the others in our village and we all have the same shops and facilities..how can some areas be deprived and not others in this small district?

Absolutely. The council's report is very simplistic and when you look at the bigger picture you see similar demographics in every region. It's just that in other regions the rich tend to live just outside the respective city boundaries.

That's a useful insight. I wonder how it would look if voting patterns were overlaid.

It looks very much that the deprivation indicated in red correlates with red voting.

Lol.....apparently I'm on the '6th deprived level'. I've just checked Buckingham Palace.....so's the Queen!!!:hihi:

Lol.....apparently I'm on the '6th deprived level'. I've just checked Buckingham Palace.....so's the Queen!!!:hihi:

The London bandings are ridiculous. According to the map most of Westminster is living in poverty and Westminster Cathedral in particular is basically a crack house.

You've read that wrong six45ive, apparently you're on the '6th depraved level'.

:)

:D You know me so well!!!

I'm well aware of the fact that I've used the term before and in a certain context, I suppose I'm just asking you what do you mean by gentrify. You use the word as though it has negative connotations.....as though it's somehow a dirty word.:huh:

Your previous posts and suggestions do nothing more than condone Division... re-read them ! Dirty words ? Negative connotations ? As for Gentrifying, you surely know the answer to that in your own little mind !!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:11 ----------

The money I earn and spend does go to help others elsewhere. Its called taxation. That pays for the government to provide the society we have. It pays for the National Health System, national infrastructure, welfare benefits system, defence and basic utilities. It funds those unfortunate to be out of work or unable to work. It feeds the hungry and puts a roof over those who are homeless. Basic rights every citizen has funded by the population by mandatory tax. What more should I give? Why should people doing nothing in their lives expect a right to what I have earned and/or inherited and/or accumulated.

We are already taxed on any of our inheritance, wages/earnings, all purchases (except very basic goods), vehicle licences, private pensions, company/employee benefits, property transactions and sales. That is plenty of contribution towards "society"

What I do with the rest of MY money is MY business.

No I dont think I need to consider it if could be used better. I earn it I get to choose what I do with it. In my later years I could chose to leave my entire wealth be it 1p or a million pounds to the local cat if I so choose.

Clap Clap Clap you are doing your'e bit ! (seriously) and I cant fault you whatsoever ! What about the rest of us ? We Dont want you to subsidise us but look at government plans !!!!!! We are We scroungers !!!! that want to rob you blind !!! so watch out !!!!!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:20 ----------

:D You know me so well!!!

Quisq I imagine you know what stuffs all about. 645 only cares about Hillsborough !!!!! and gentrififying area that dont stand up to his mark !!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:49 ----------

So you don't work, but run a car and eat out from time to time, but not as often as you'd like. I'm not convinced that's what the architects of the welfare state had in mind when they set it up.

So you work and maintain your business to the highest standards ? Maybe you could cut costs by cutting back on adverts ? cutting back on overheads ? after all your customers want the cheapest job possible at the best rates and best VFM.

And yet you continue to overcharge, give your absolute lowest prices.... Dont go above Sluggers head.... He aint daft !!!!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 20:12 ----------

How can so many believe him so wrong !!! Give us the truth !!!!!!!!!

I don't know what you think gentrifying means, maybe you could explain it?

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 08:53 ----------

I am surprised you cannot find something better to do on a Sunday

Says the person who was responding later on the Sunday when I was out doing something better

Out doing something better?Are you a priest or something?

Do you have a split personality or something? I did go out on the Sunday, you continued posting on this thread...

Edited by Cyclone