Help with my childs homework topic: The community

Hi im after some ideas that i can do with my child for his homework project 'The Community'. Ideas must be suitable for a 7yr old child. So far i have taken him out in the local area and he's taken photos of some things like the post box,Telephone lines, Buses,Cars, Litter bins and wrote a little bit about why these are important in a community. We have also done a Scatter chart of people who help keep the community clean,safe and tidy and hes drawn little pictures of each of his examples like a police car, fire truck, crossing person etc

I have now exhausted my ideas of what else to do with him, the more creative the better as he loves crafty things but anything you can suggest will help

thanks Bizzy_Lizzy

Hi im after some ideas that i can do with my child for his homework project 'The Community'. Ideas must be suitable for a 7yr old child. So far i have taken him out in the local area and he's taken photos of some things like the post box,Telephone lines, Buses,Cars, Litter bins and wrote a little bit about why these are important in a community. We have also done a Scatter chart of people who help keep the community clean,safe and tidy and hes drawn little pictures of each of his examples like a police car, fire truck, crossing person etc

I have now exhausted my ideas of what else to do with him, the more creative the better as he loves crafty things but anything you can suggest will help

thanks Bizzy_Lizzy

Seriously how about taking him to both footballs clubs and Don Valley Stadium to take photos of the places, they all serve the community don't they. Don't want to over complicate it as he's only 7 mind, good luck with it to him.

Tell him to ask his teacher to give him written guidance as to what is expected. Just sending a kid home to do a project entitled The Community is a cop- out on the part of the school.

If nothing is supplied, write to the Head and ask.

Tell him to ask his teacher to give him written guidance as to what is expected. Just sending a kid home to do a project entitled The Community is a cop- out on the part of the school.

If nothing is supplied, write to the Head and ask.

Not really, it is helping to develop the kid, if he's forever asking for instructions what will he learn.

Local shop, Library, Pondsforge (swiming pools), Takeaway, Binmen, Pubs (I hate to mention)Parks are also for and part of the community, art gallery, the list is endless, hope this helped a bit.

thanks Bizzy_Lizzy

What you've done so far sounds great! If he's keen on art/craft maybe he could do a little map of his community. It'd be interesting to see what it's like through his eyes.

Thanks for your ideas, will take these on board. I was kind of not seeing any further than my local area but it seems as though from the posts that other people see a much wider radius as the community than i was thinking. Think i may take a trip to the library and take some photos and to the park etc. A map is a good idea i shall get him mapping out his journey to school (this shall be very interesting) to see if he could navigate his own way home considering he attends school in High Green and i live in S5. thanks again for the ideas

If you have a car, you may want to take him to the countryside (Ringinglow etc) He may want to do a small piece on that. Not sure if it counts as community mind, but it amazes me that we have those places on our doorstep and hardly anyone seems to know about them.

I remember homework. You got given it, you went to your room and did it. Yourself. As a result you learned things.

Not having a pop at the OP, as this is clearly what education is like these days, but really.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but to me 'community' is about people

If I were to do this with my two year old, she'd have pics of the ladies who work at the library, the SureStart centre volunteers and staff, the ladies at the co-op, the other dog walkers we meet, the local shop owners she regularly visits and talks to, and of course her friends from nursery and playgroup

The football grounds are communities themselves - groups of people with a common cause or interest. SF is a community - to some more than others. Most of the people I know in Sheffield I met via SF

I remember homework. You got given it, you went to your room and did it. Yourself. As a result you learned things.

Not having a pop at the OP, as this is clearly what education is like these days, but really.

All the educational research done over the last 20 years has shown that most children learn more effectively with guidance. Some will enjoy the challenge of working out/guessing what the teacher wants them to produce; most will do better with some structured guidelines.The older they are, the more independent they should be.

The teacher will have a scheme of work and a mark scheme which spell out the assessment objectives (content and the skills) which the project will cover. They would normally share those with the pupils before they send them off to start researching.

But it shouldn't be the parents who are doing the project.

As a retired teacher i would suggest breaking it down into:

Introduction : what I think 'community' means

how my commmunity began (historical perspective)

institutions/places/buildings

people (linch pins)

events

the past

the future

Edited by aliceBB

The child is 7. The homework is about the community. Not going to get far sitting in his room is he?