Things that you just don't see now!

you can still use Izal toilet paper at the toilets at the bottom of the morr!

Well I'll be... Are you sure they're not just using up some surplus stock from the 60's :)

I remember an Izal factory in Chapeltown, on the left just before the big hill leading up to the turn off for Harley and Hoyland common.

I'm just wondering if the message printed on each sheet of toilet paper was hygiene related, or a subtle warning about the stinky chemicals they used.

And... what ever happened to -> MothBalls

Did all the moths die? lol

My grandma lived with us for years and suffered with reumatism. She drank a horrible brownish liquid concoction called Waller's Backache Mixture. Apart from curing her bad back, it helped to wash down her daily dose of Carter's Little Liver Pills.

It seems that there was this guy who lived to 98years old. He had taken Carter's Little Liver Pills for years. When he died, the undertakers had to beat his liver to death with a stick.

Anybody remember those little books made up of pictures, and when you flicked the pages rapidly, the subject matter on the pages seemed to move. Like a little moving picture.

I had one, as a kid, of the 'Mallard' (I think) making it's record run. And another of Charlie Chaplin, twirling his cane, and walking off, splay footed, into the distance. Dont know what you'd call 'em though. (The books, that is).

Thanks Owdlad, I'm feeling fitter already. Tomorrow, I'm off to Boots with a shopping list, Cod Liver Oil and Malt, Syrup of Figs, Beechams Pills (the little yellow ones that came in a twist of paper). Texas, I didn't mention the down side to Carters Little Liver Pills, thats why I put Syrup of Figs on the list.

A penny's worth of crab claws from Boldocks on Attercliffe Common, to take back to school after lunch break. The smell in that classroom must have been dire.:hihi:

My old grandma played a big part in my younger years as she did the local chemist shop and Co-Op. It was my job to fetch the things we don't see now. Finnon Salts for her rheumatism, came in a lovely, kidney shaped, green tin. On Saturday mornings, I would take the Ration Book to a tobacconist at Page Hall and get her an ounce of loose snuff. For our younger readers, loose means it was scooped out of a large box, weighed and poured into one of those pointed paper bags. No sealed packets in them days and yes, I sneezed all the way home. Grandma quite often had a brown, snuff coloured drlbble on her top lip which someone told me was her brains running down her nose. Yes again, I believed it for years. We don't see things like that now.

My Great Gran used to send me to the Richmond pub for a bottle of nut brown, I was only about 6 at the time, I used to say can I have a bottle of nut brown for Grandma Hibbert please, and was served with it.

What exactly was Nut Brown, :confused:

As kids in the 50/60's we used to spend our sixpence on th following

Flying Saucers

Black Jacks

Fruit Salad

Rainbow Drops

Imps

Cinder Toffie

Boot Laces

Ceed Gums

Cherry Lips

Parma Violets

Bazoka Chewing Gum

Anacead twist

Potato Puffs

And best of all Nibbits

That is just a short list of sweets we used to have in that time. The other things we dont see are

People who care and help strangers who are in trouble

A Please and Thankyou

Helping old ladies across the road

People holding doors open

Parking Lights on Cars

Starting Handles

The village Policeman

Redex at garages

Green Shield Stamps

The Rag and Tag Market

The Mucy Duck

The Stamps in Fitsallan Square

And Pond Street Nora

Regards Dave

For Flashbang NUT BROWN was BEER and very nice too P.S. you must be very young my dear

Well I'll be... Are you sure they're not just using up some surplus stock from the 60's :)

I remember an Izal factory in Chapeltown, on the left just before the big hill leading up to the turn off for Harley and Hoyland common.

I'm just wondering if the message printed on each sheet of toilet paper was hygiene related, or a subtle warning about the stinky chemicals they used.

And... what ever happened to -> MothBalls

Did all the moths die? lol

Talking of Moth balls i only got some a couple of weeks ago in whitby,i got them to put on my garden to stop the cats from doing there buisness on my garden, i put them on top of the soil they worked a treat, wished i'd picked up more than one box though:loopy: