Things that you just don't see now!

Imps (little black horrible things).

Five pennorth o' chips wi scraps on.

Way,way back in the 30s and 40s, not a great deal of money around, not a lot of work either, a lot of familys had a hard time. Being able to buy clothes for kids was difficult. A few kids I knew, usually from big familys, wore clogs.

You dont see them much nowadays. Thick leather, inch thick wooden soles, with an iron on the bottom. Shop on the Wicker end of Nursery St made 'em.

Mate of mine always wore them, no socks, but clogs.

You should've seen him on a slide in winter, greased lightening.

For Flashbang NUT BROWN was BEER and very nice too P.S. you must be very young my dear

Shhhhhhhhh 47 but don't tell anyone :hihi:

As kids in the 50/60's we used to spend our sixpence on th following

Flying Saucers

Black Jacks

Fruit Salad

Rainbow Drops

Imps

Cinder Toffie

Boot Laces

Ceed Gums

Cherry Lips

Parma Violets

Bazoka Chewing Gum

Anacead twist

Potato Puffs

And best of all Nibbits

That is just a short list of sweets we used to have in that time. The other things we dont see are

People who care and help strangers who are in trouble

A Please and Thankyou

Helping old ladies across the road

People holding doors open

Parking Lights on Cars

Starting Handles

The village Policeman

Redex at garages

Green Shield Stamps

The Rag and Tag Market

The Mucy Duck

The Stamps in Fitsallan Square

And Pond Street Nora

Regards Dave

Eeeeeee Potato puffs, they were great !! I'm convinced they were resonsible for my less than slim physique ( I use the word in an amusing way don't ya know)

And, possibly, the boiled sweets from the Rag and Tag my dad used to bring in sometimes, played some role in it too.

tara

Before the war at the Hatfield House Lane end of Bellhouse Rd Shiregreen, there was a small ,dark, crowded shop which used to sell glasses of sarsaparilla ( the spelling is from the dictionary ) straight from a large brown pot with a tap at the bottom, delicious it was.

Before the war at the Hatfield House Lane end of Bellhouse Rd Shiregreen, there was a small ,dark, crowded shop which used to sell glasses of sarsaparilla ( the spelling is from the dictionary ) straight from a large brown pot with a tap at the bottom, delicious it was.

I recall, as an early teenager going to a "Drinks" Shop near Millmoor in Rotherham with a couple of mates, same age, and having a drink of sarsaparilla form a similar dispenser

You're right of course....simply delicious. There were genuine fruit juices to choose from too. :)

Thinking of fruit, - does anyone remember those Jaffa oranges that appeared in the shops just before Christmas ? They were huge and sweet and the peel and pith came off clean as a whistle. Much better than the oranges available these days.

you mustv been our neighbors!! we lived opposite the church on crookesmoor road. i lived there from bein born till age 13.

we were reminising about this the other day. how we had a 'tin' bath, in front of the fire in kitchen on a sunday night ready for school and if you caught your arm on the side it would burn you where itd got hot from the gas fire! then when wed all had our turn, dad would tip it out the back door, made a great slide next mornin in the winter after it had frozen overnight. and im only talkin about late 70's here.....................i never sat in a proper bath till i was 14yrs old in 1977

Does anyone remember the drink machines that used to be on shop counters? There was a glass bowl about the same size as a football, which which hissed as if the drink was being pumped into the bowl by compressed air, and then emptied into a glass.

my great aunt used to send me to the chemist for Belladonna plasters to puton her back.

GOT THIS VIA E-MAIL TODAY.

Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples

That had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.

Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.