Why do children have to do homework?

Are kids not at school long enough, why must they have to do homework??

After a long day at work, and also having to pick my partner up at 5:30pm, making sure that our 5 and 10 year olds get there homeworks done is a pain.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

My kids would have preferred to do an extra couple of hours a day at school instead of home works, and having kids in school from 8 to 5 would maybe help some working parents.

Primary school homework (certainly in my kids' cases) has been mostly about reading a little every night - always a good thing and creates quality parent/child time that might otherwise be lost in the chaos that is evenings in a family home, and a little project once a week which takes about 20/30 minutes - which gets kids thinking for themselves and being independent in researching and learning.

It also gets them into a routine of doing homework, which is vital in secondary school.

Homework is such a loose term also. It could 10 minutes of maths, or writing a 5,000 word essay the night before it's due to be handed in.

When I have kids I'm setting them extra homework from me.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

And what does your "evening family time" consist of?

And what does your "evening family time" consist of?

Bridge building?

Polishing horns?

Kissing Princesses?

Homework from primary or secondary school is a good way for parents to keep a check on how well or badly their child is doing. Without it, how would you know ? Once a year parents evenings are not much help if your child has been struggling and you didn't know about it, you need to tackle any problems as soon as they become apparent. Involvement in their homework also gives a child individual attention which is so valuable and often cannot be got in a busy classroom.

Homework from primary or secondary schools is a good way for some parents to realise how thick they really are and how much better their children will be in the future if they encourage it.

My kids would have preferred to do an extra couple of hours a day at school instead of home works, and having kids in school from 8 to 5 would maybe help some working parents.

Which I suspect is the OP's real agenda, and yours.

It's amazing how many parents think their childs education is the sole responsibilty of the school. It doesn't start at 8.30am and end at 3.00pm monday to friday.

Even more amazing how many people appear to think that a teacher's work ends as soon as the kids go home. They too have a family to care and attend to before and after their working day.

A school is there to educate children not be a daily 12 hour child minding service for the parents.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Even more amazing how many people appear to think that a teacher's work ends as soon as the kids go home.

A school is there to educate children not be a daily 12 hour child minding service for the parents.

Just think how much more the teachers could teach and the kids could learn with an extra couple of hours at school, the kids would also get used to working for longer and would adjust to a working life easier after leaving school.