Why do children have to do homework?

Are kids not at school long enough, why must they have to do homework??

After a long day at work, and also having to pick my partner up at 5:30pm, making sure that our 5 and 10 year olds get there homeworks done is a pain.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

Edited by That easy

Poor you. Just because *you* can't be bothered with it, what makes it wrong for kids to learn?

Firstly I agree with you. Homework should not be for primary school children at all. As for homework at secondary school a common sense approach should be used. ie if its necessary fine but not if its simply to add to some target or statistic.

Poor you. Just because *you* can't be bothered with it, what makes it wrong for kids to learn?

They're at school for over six hours, is this not enough for them??

it depends what they do when they're there

at 5 it almost certainly is - at 10 a bit of homework probably isn't a bad idea, but it is a question of balance, and also what is defined as homework - reading for example is useful for a kid at any age

Given the appalling rates of literacy and maths I've seen in a lot of school leavers, clearly not. It's good preparation for later life, no-one in full-time work does 6 hours a day with multiple breaks, and very often also has additional unpaid work to do in the evenings.

Learning is never a bad thing.

I agree with Manlinose, and I was lucky in that my daughter liked doing homework and wanted to do well. I also viewed helping her with the homework as "family time".

Absolutely not. Education is very important. Particuarly at an early age.

Those "six hours" are hardly hard graft. Within that time there will be three break periods and no doubt for the younger years a session of playtime/storytime/art and craft as a final lesson of the day.

Older children on the continent have had 7-8 hour school days for years. Plus some also attend Saturday lessons.

I see no harm in a little bit of homework at any age. It keeps their mind focused on their school work during the school week and should provide a good link between the child's school experience and the parents.

.....for those who can be bothered to get involved that is.

Helping them with homework, making sure they do said homework, reading to your children, getting invovled with your children's projects for school is all part of raising kids. Its one of the many things being a parent is all about. If people cant be "bothered" they should have thought twice before having them.

Are kids not at school long enough, why must they have to do homework??

After a long day at work, and also having to pick my partner up at 5:30pm, making sure that our 5 and 10 year olds get there homeworks done is a pain.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

Don't you think that helping with your kids' education is an important part of parenting?

Apparently, it's a generational thing.

Education of children is not just a teacher's job, it's a parent's too. bringing homework home gives a responsible parent a chance to be involved in that process. All my grandchildren bring it home even from Kindergarten, and come to Poppa for help.

I did nearly all of my learning at home and enjoyed it more than trying to learn at school. At secondary school you were taught the basic rules in the lesson and at home was when you learnt the application of the rule.

At primary school I would agree its pretty pointless apart from reading.