Introducing parking charges in evenings & Sundays

Making a reasonable charge for a service is hardly "fleecing" people.

Service? Can you tell me what this service is please? Parking a car is not a service. If we got our vehicles washed then maybe this would be classed as a service and people would be more willing to pay.

Simple answer is don't go to these areas. I cannot remember the last time I went to the centre and if I were a retailer I certainly wouldn't be looking at putting up shop there.

Service? Can you tell me what this service is please? Parking a car is not a service. If we got our vehicles washed then maybe this would be classed as a service and people would be more willing to pay.

Renting a parking space to you for a period of time is a service.

Is it not a public road? So I'm renting it from who exactly? Surely the council does not 'own' the road, so how can they charge for renting space when they don't own it in the first place?

I think they'll start to charge pedestrians for using crossings, underpasses and bridges next.

Making a reasonable charge for a service is hardly "fleecing" people.

it IS when that charge was not there previously

---------- Post added 15-07-2013 at 15:22 ----------

Is it not a public road? So I'm renting it from who exactly? Surely the council does not 'own' the road, so how can they charge for renting space when they don't own it in the first place?

I think they'll start to charge pedestrians for using crossings, underpasses and bridges next.

SCC will soon be introducing a modest charge for those who wish to sit down in the city centre.

For those of you who dont want to pay for this service free seating is availble a couple of miles away

Hmmm... maybe you're right. Since wheely bins remain the property of the council, perhaps I should start charging them a rental fee for the space that they occupy on my property. £1 a day for each bin sounds reasonable to me.

Hmmm... maybe you're right. Since wheely bins remain the property of the council, perhaps I should start charging them a rental fee for the space that they occupy on my property. £1 a day for each bin sounds reasonable to me.

Love it! What about a fine for not emptying it on time?

what about this for a thought

the central government have made the councils into private businesses who are not receiving the same amount of subsidies through central government tax paid funding and councils have been advised at the top to come up with self sustainable initiatives to raise their own funds....one being parking charges.

the city centre is dying and how anyone in the council can think that by putting parking restrictions all over the central city is good for business in my book is foolish.....I pay my tax to Caesar like most working people....where is this money going cos it isn't going on fixing the roads that's for certain.

the businesses which are managing to survive should get together and pressurise the council to maintain free parking to boost the city's economy not hinder it.

I think they are trying to get people to use public transport and make driving an inconvenience to people in the city.....the next thing to come will be congestion.

we live in a dictatorship more than a democracy these days its from the top down.

Some lively spots right near the city centre you can park for free all weekend, I wont give away the secret of where as everyone will start to use them :D

There is a car park at the bottom of the Moor where you can park for FREE all day, every day . The only down side being you get bombarded with junk mail from the parking company who operate it, which just means more trips to the bin in the kitchen. :)

Interesting thought Planner, but as with many posts on here, only partially true...

On road parking isn't considered a service as no VAT is paid on the revenues raised through that income stream.

went to angel st argos yesterday because crystal peaks argos didnt have stock of what i wanted, £1 for 30 mins parking, wow what a rip off, thats first time i been in town for over a year, no wonder town dying, council charges strangling it.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

went to angel st argos yesterday because crystal peaks argos didnt have stock of what i wanted, £1 for 30 mins parking, wow what a rip off, thats first time i been in town for over a year, no wonder town dying, council charges strangling it.

Ah well, as planner would no doubt relish in telling you, there is cheaper parking available a couple of miles away

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

Ah well, as planner would no doubt relish in telling you, there is cheaper parking available a couple of miles away

yup, im sure my 2 year old daughter would love the walk in the hot sun as well.....acvording to planner1, its a rip off parking in centre, no wonder its on its knees