Introducing parking charges in evenings & Sundays

A letter in last weeks Sheffield Telegraph was moaning that parking charges are to be introduced on Sundays and evenings in the city centre. Is this true?? I not heard anything about it? :confused:

A letter in last weeks Sheffield Telegraph was moaning that parking charges are to be introduced on Sundays and evenings in the city centre. Is this true?? I not heard anything about it? :confused:

When will the fools who run Sheffield come to their senses free parking = bums on seats,footfall on the streets and money in tills.

It has been in The Star as one of the proposals along with demolishing Don Valley Stadium.

The nighttime economy in the city is suffering enough without the fools in city centre creating any more damage by adding parking charges.

Does anyone have a link to the proposals please?

Who reads the Star? pah...

The nighttime economy in the city is suffering enough without the fools in city centre creating any more damage by adding parking charges.

Does anyone have a link to the proposals please?

Who reads the Star? pah...

These "fools" are trying every which way to save money & bring in extra revenue to avoid cutting essential services. You do know that Sheffield's budget has been cut this year by £57million & we have been told that another £30million will have to be found in savings next year. If parking charges get to keep elderly residential care going, I consider it a small price to pay.

When will the fools who run Sheffield come to their senses free parking = bums on seats,footfall on the streets and money in tills.

They are falling inline with the "fools" in other cities who have already

done exactly the same Manchester for example.

We have had this debate many times on here and the answer is always the same: free parking = city centre workers using their cars instead of public transport.

The vast majority of City Centre parking has been sold off to private companies such as NCP anyway.

I can park in my work car park for free, but I still don't bother going to the City Centre as it's plain rubbish.

We have had this debate many times on here and the answer is always the same: free parking = city centre workers using their cars instead of public transport.

Not so much in evenings and weekends though.

I often shop in the city centre on Sundays, as I can drive down and then park for free. It's cheaper than getting the bus, and more convenient. If they take away that free parking then the next cheapest option becomes Meadowhell.

If parking charges get to keep elderly residential care going, I consider it a small price to pay.

Isn't the income is, by law, ring-fenced to only be used on traffic improvement projects? The last Labour council ignored that though, so the current lot may too.

Might require some budget-juggling to have a direct effect on other services...

You've got to be practical. There are so many threads discussing this, and so many people demanding free parking at all times, but that's just not possible in the city centre. The centre can't compete with out of town shopping in terms of choice of shops and free parking, it needs to offer more.

However, charging for on street parking on Sundays and in the evenings will be one more nail in the coffin lid for the city centre. These are the times we don't need to be worried about traffic volume. The roads are quite, and there aren't many office workers competing for spaces.

Sundays are the time when you can pop into town, wander round to your heart's content. No pressure on time, no worry about getting a fine, not much traffic to contend with. It's the one day of the week when I take proper advantage of the centre's shops and cafes.