Pitsmoor Adventure Playground Threatened with Closure

I know this is already mentioned in the thread on Highfield Adventure Playground closure, but really I thought it deserved it's own thread. I have just found out about the proposal to remove staffing (and play equipment) as from April and I'm appalled that this has been kept so quiet. No efforts to actively consult with local residents or service users have been made. Echoing everything that has already been said about Highfields, this place is so important for giving local kids the chance to play in a safe environment. The staff help smooth out differences and manage the complex dynamics, which are kind of inevitable with such a diverse local population. Yes it costs money, and I know we haven't got a whole load of that floating round, but really it has the potential to help save loads of money in other areas such as policing.

Plus, really, the kids round here haven't got much in the way of outside play facilities. All of those are on the other side of town.... Millhouses, Endcliffe, Graves Park. Seems a bit mean to take away the little they have.

There is an e-petition here if you would like to sign it.

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=98&RPID=324897&HPID=324897

Plus, really, the kids round here haven't got much in the way of outside play facilities. All of those are on the other side of town.... Millhouses, Endcliffe, Graves Park. Seems a bit mean to take away the little they have ,,,

load of rubbish millhouses had an upgrade quite afew years ago rest of above are run down ! , go and have alook round highfields lowfields broadfield road ect

I know we haven't got a whole load of that floating round, but really it has the potential to help save loads of money in other areas such as policing.

If a playground is all that stands between the local offspring and criminality then we have a serious problem in that area.

If a playground is all that stands between the local offspring and criminality then we have a serious problem in that area.

I would put it a bit differently to that. The area has had serious problems historically, first with adults killing each other, and then with children killing each other. The latter problem has steadily improved over the last 4 years and there have been no such incidents involving kids since then. The problem with adults has improved although there have been two shootings, one fatal, over the last 3 years. The area generally feels safe and I don't worry about being out and about with my kids (the exception being Spital Hill at night but my kids are in bed then). My experience of the area has improved year on year since living here - less anti-social behaviour, the problem with dogs has improved a lot, fewer crims hanging around.

If you speak to the police they will tell you that Pitsmoor has falling crime and, perhaps surprisingly, has a relatively low crime rate for Sheffield, but that they still consider it a risk area, i.e. we're not out of the woods yet. Although it is a playground, a lot of what goes on at the Adventure is youth work, and that's because of the staff there. If the two main places in Pitsmoor for kids to play and get good guidance from adults disappear then we risk going back 5 or 10 years.

No one said it was all that stands between them- but, clearly it's one of the factors that can help a lot.

I traveled a long way as a kid to get out into the country on a tri weekly basis, why do we need dreary little halls when we have some of the finest country on this Earth as a playground for the kids?

I traveled a long way as a kid to get out into the country on a tri weekly basis, why do we need dreary little halls when we have some of the finest country on this Earth as a playground for the kids?

It's the outside bit that's the adventure playground! Realistically, while we can afford to get our kids out to the countryside quite a bit, a lot of parents round here can't. And lots of the kids go straight there after school, you can't really make it out to Castleton and back before your tea from school!

Again, I don't recall anyone mentioning 'dreary little halls'- I believe the threads about an adventure playground.

Well done for traveling a long way and accessing the countryside- it is indeed an excellent place to go- for those who enjoy the countryside and who have the means of getting there. Clearly, for many inner city kids, it's not a realistic option. Which is where adventure playgrounds and organised youth activites are useful.

load of rubbish millhouses had an upgrade quite afew years ago rest of above are run down ! , go and have alook round highfields lowfields broadfield road ect

You've completely lost me here, have we been going to different Millhouses, Graves and Endcliffe Parks?

Graves Park play area was refurbished 2011.

Millhouses entry in Wikepedia shows this information about what's been done over the last couple of years..

"In 2010, Splash Waterplay was opened, completing the renovation of the old Lido area. This now incorporates a traditional and adventure play area, skate park and Splash area. The old paddling pools were also filled and landscaped to form a 'fish ladder' which allows migratory fish to swim up-stream to spawn. It also creates several rock-pools and planting areas for wildlife to thrive.

Later in 2010, the old park-keeper's hut was taken over by the Park Cafe to provide refreshments to the play area. This also saw the banning of dogs in this area, with the installation of gates and fencing to surround the playgrounds. A sensory garden was established which has now matured to provide an oasis of calm within the park.

In 2011, Cliffhanger was once again held in the park and a new Outdoor Gym was opened next to the skatepark, along with a zipwire in the playground area. The park was also granted the Green Flag award for its excellent facilities, environmental sustainability and horticultural standards.

Plans for 2011/12 include the installation of a children's cycle roadway, the old poplar trees will be removed and replaced by an avenue of mature oak trees and improvements to the old Mill Buildings at the Northern end of the park will also start during 2012 with the intention of providing community facilities and further refreshment area."

And Endcliffe Park play area is in no way shabby.

Why are you suggesting I go and look round Highfields, Lowfields, Broadfield Road? What will I be discovering?