Living in Walkley

Can anyone tell me about the roads down off South Road like Hoole Street, Insustry Road ect.

Are these safe? Good houses? Any trouble?

Thank you

The roads are even steeper than some of the prices, mind.

The roads are even steeper than some of the prices, mind.

I lived on Hoole street for 20 years the house was condemned as slum clearance in 1964, its still there and just sold for £120,000.

The Street was a smashing place to live and some of my old neighbours are still there.

If you can't find a hill in Walkley... :)

In general, the nearer you can get to Crookes, the nicer the houses seem to be. But Walkley always strikes me as a lovely place.

As far as I've observed the housing stock is identical all the way up from Lower Walkley to the top of Crookes. The only thing that changes is the price and how far you have to walk to the tram.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 07:26 ----------

Thanks for the replies, all really helpful.

Medusa- I do have a cat but its difficult to get her to leave the house at the best of times so that might not be too much of an issue!

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 21:24 ----------

Oh, and how busy do the main roads get at rush hour times? E.g. through crookes. Is it ever queuing? I'd be driving down to hunters bar area.

You'd not be going the same way as most of the traffic, so you could probably find a reasonably quick route at any time.

Walkley Lane can back up around the junctions at the bottom (mainly due to the genius that is the tram gate). I used to find that driving through Upperthorpe was a good way of avoiding the traffic.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 07:29 ----------

Thanks for all the help. We've had an offer accepted on a house in the rivelin bit of Walkley so hope to be joining you all up there soon! We currently live in Fulwood but I'm looking forward to a change of scenery.

Ah, seems I came to this thread a bit late. Good luck.

I live just off Bole hill on Rangeley Rd & love it! but not so in the bad weather when everyone fights for a space on bole hill :(

I live on Bole Hill Road and have often wondered why at the first sign of snow all the good folks who live on the hilly side roads decide to panic park on Bole Hill Road and then leave the cars there until the snow melts. It's never the case that the cars are parked there so that they can be driven everyday. All that happens is that there is double parking meaning the buses can't get down to the terminus. :loopy:

I live on Bole Hill Road and have often wondered why at the first sign of snow all the good folks who live on the hilly side roads decide to panic park on Bole Hill Road and then leave the cars there until the snow melts. It's never the case that the cars are parked there so that they can be driven everyday. All that happens is that there is double parking meaning the buses can't get down to the terminus. :loopy:

I live on Bellhagg and personally love it when it snows, for that reason, its about the only time i can get parked near my house.

The way i see it is if the snows not to bad you will defo be able to get off of the side roads... So no need to be blocking the main roads up.

And this year someone with a black KA decided to park right at the junction at the top of Liniker, i am sure that it didn't get moved once:loopy: untill the snow had gone

One of my worries about moving is the snow next year! Assuming I can get off the side roads to the main road, what is it like? Does south road get bad? Is the road through crookes any better?!

One of my worries about moving is the snow next year! Assuming I can get off the side roads to the main road, what is it like? Does south road get bad? Is the road through crookes any better?!

South Road gets cleared pretty quickly but there was a real issue with parked / abandoned cars during the last lot of snow. Public transport didn't get back to normal for 4 days. Bole Hill road was particularly bad and some of the older folk down there who rely on the bus were pretty much stranded.