Do you spoil your children?

My daughter would be taken home at that point and then go without completely, it's not always about succumbing to a childs whim it's a parent being too selfish to actual commit to parenting.

It isn't bad spoiling a child it's bad having no consequences for poor behaviour,all carrot no stick.

this happend to me once! i was in a supermarket with my eldest and we ended up near the toy section, well my son kicked off because i wouldn't buy him this lego set at £55! so i did the same as what he was doing i stood there stamping my feet and acting like a spoilt child, my son stood there in amazement at me and so did the some of the other shoppers! lol but after a few mins of me doing that he stopped and said ''why are you acting like a baby'' and i said because im showing you what you look like! and his reply was ''but im not a baby'' and my reply was ''so stop acting like one and lets carry on shopping'' and we did with no more fuss and still to this day if he asks for something and i say no he never kicks off for fear i will totally embarrass him! :D sometimes you've got to play them at there own game lol children are underestimated at how clever they actually are! as someone said before people spoil there children with gifts thinking thats showing them you love them when its not its about time spent with a child, i have 3 children one with special needs and i find time to spend with each of them on there own so we have just us, and we spend time all together, no one knows how to be a ''perfect parent'' but spending time with your children, teaching them morals will surely help to raise a child that knows they were loved. xx:)

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 13:10 ----------

My criteria for parenting has always been what would you do if they misbehaved.

As a child i got a slapped backside,my daughter never got smacked after reaching 3 years old,prior to that it was a tap on the hand usually.

But i've driven to adventure parks where she's kicked up a stink so we've packed up and gone home.She didn't cause a fuss the next time we went out.

I don't agree with children running around food establishments,they've been taken out for a meal not an adventure park.

i could not agree more! x

Spare the rod (consequences) and spoil the child .Ok I may be guilty of using the pc as a babysitter for my 5 yr old but I insist that he earns it buy doing some reading and writing first and then only for an hour and a half at tops

My daughter would be taken home at that point and then go without completely, it's not always about succumbing to a childs whim it's a parent being too selfish to actual commit to parenting.

It isn't bad spoiling a child it's bad having no consequences for poor behaviour,all carrot no stick.

^ Bang on the money.

Spare the rod (consequences) and spoil the child .Ok I may be guilty of using the pc as a babysitter for my 5 yr old but I insist that he earns it buy doing some reading and writing first and then only for an hour and a half at tops

Noooooooooooooh! You are programming your child to think of literacy as something unpleasant which has to be got out of the way before the real enjoyment starts. Please don't make reading and writing the chore, and the computer the treat.

It should be the other way round. Do the reading and writing with the child, giving him your undivided attention and lots of praise and it will become more of a treat and less of a chore.

You can even help your child with literacy using a computer but make it fun.

Edited by aliceBB

I agree with MaisieM!!! So many parents ( and some grandparents!) seen not to be able to say NO!!! I see kids with parents in supermarkets/ restaurants run amok, parents seem not to notice. The kids play up if they are not allowed to ahve the things they want, you get to the checkout, and hey presto, they thing the child wanted is in the trolley!! When mine were little, if I said no, end of story......

My cousins child is 2, and they don't take her to the supermarket or to eat out, as she is a 'nightmare', I guess because she is allowed to be!

Parents are the number one educator of their child and along with love and care should be teaching them skills for life. Mollycoddling them and spoiling them rotton is doing them no favours in the long run.

Noooooooooooooh! You are programming your child to think of literacy as something unpleasant which has to be got out of the way before the real enjoyment starts. Please don't make reading and writing the chore, and the computer the treat.

It should be the other way round. Do the reading and writing with the child, giving him your undivided attention and lots of praise and it will become more of a treat and less of a chore.

You can even help your child with literacy using a computer but make it fun.

Agree with all you say. Reading should be a joy.

Agree with all you say. Reading should be a joy.

Absolutely. And the more time you invest in reading to and with children, the less 'stuff' they seem to want.

'If I have any money, I buy books.

If I have any left, I buy food.' Bede

'E weren't venerable for nuffink, that Bede!

All my life my mother has attempted to give me the max she could, I'd personally say I was pretty spoilt, but I like to think I'm turning out fine.

Over Christmas she did tell me about one of her sisters nieces...or something a long those lines. For Christmas her mother bought her 10 year old daughter an Iphone, brand new, and the daughter ages about 6 or 7 or so, got a tablet. At that age, she should be playing out, not worrying about going over her minutes.

All my life my mother has attempted to give me the max she could, I'd personally say I was pretty spoilt, but I like to think I'm turning out fine.

Over Christmas she did tell me about one of her sisters nieces...or something a long those lines. For Christmas her mother bought her 10 year old daughter an Iphone, brand new, and the daughter ages about 6 or 7 or so, got a tablet. At that age, she should be playing out, not worrying about going over her minutes.

My mother was the same, but if I kicked up a fuss because I wanted something at home or in the shops I wouldn't have got anything.

I think its all about boundaries with your children.

If you have a child that cry's every time they want something and get it that child will be crying to you till its in its late 30s