The Green Deal scheme

It's cheaper for the customer to get a loan if say they wanted a new boiler.

Set up for the big boys in my opinion.

It's cheaper for the customer to get a loan if say they wanted a new boiler.

Set up for the big boys in my opinion.

Is it cheaper? Green Deal interest rate has been confirmed at 6.9%, and banks charge what exactly?

Also, what about people with poor credit who can't get loans? That's right, they end up paying 30% APR.

Green Dean lending is not attached to the person either.

Is it cheaper? Green Deal interest rate has been confirmed at 6.9%, and banks charge what exactly?

Also, what about people with poor credit who can't get loans? That's right, they end up paying 30% APR.

Green Dean lending is not attached to the person either.

The cost of the install is said to be quite a lot more to start with, maybe 50%

You are limited to where you can buy your boilers and you have to pay what ever price they charge.

The cost of the install is said to be quite a lot more to start with, maybe 50%

You are limited to where you can buy your boilers and you have to pay what ever price they charge.

Not true! Install costs will actually fall, as a result of increased competition and higher volumes of work. It would make no sense for install costs to rise, as it makes it harder to meet the golden rule. Install costs will definitely fall.

If you suddenly started fitting lots of boilers, you would get rebates from your suppliers making your install costs less.

Also the cost of materials will follow suit because suppliers will be dealing in larger volumes too.

Not true! Install costs will actually fall, as a result of increased competition and higher volumes of work. It would make no sense for install costs to rise, as it makes it harder to meet the golden rule. Install costs will definitely fall.

If you suddenly started fitting lots of boilers, you would get rebates from your suppliers making your install costs less.

Also the cost of materials will follow suit because suppliers will be dealing in larger volumes too.

This is not true, I fit around 300 boilers a year and maybe sell about 200/300 to other installers,

I get boilers at good prices and get good rebates.

If I buy a boiler on the green deal it costs me much more as I am limited to where I buy, this is a fact, it's about £200 more just for the boiler then everything else has to be bought via that company, there is No way the cost will be lower.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 16:12 ----------

Its complicated when it doesnt need to be

As a installer you have to pay for every quote you do, this will put the price up for all the people that sign up.

If you sell your house, the person buying your house would be liable for any outstanding loan.

If you sell your house, the person buying your house would be liable for any outstanding loan.

Correct. The Green Deal is attached to the electricity bill of the property until it is repaid.

However with rising fuel costs im pretty sure people will be glad the property is to a higher energy efficiency standard than it was pre Green Deal.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 17:35 ----------

This is not true, I fit around 300 boilers a year and maybe sell about 200/300 to other installers,

I get boilers at good prices and get good rebates.

If I buy a boiler on the green deal it costs me much more as I am limited to where I buy, this is a fact, it's about £200 more just for the boiler then everything else has to be bought via that company, there is No way the cost will be lower.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 16:12 ----------

As a installer you have to pay for every quote you do, this will put the price up for all the people that sign up.

The installer doesn't pay for the quote. Some Green Deal providers / Assessors will charge for carrying out the survey, others will offer it for free.

As I see it, it could put people off renting a property or buying a property with a green deal stamp on it.

For me at the moment I think I will go independent.

The big boys are going to make mega bucks out of this but the man with the tools are going to get peanuts.

Correct. The Green Deal is attached to the electricity bill of the property until it is repaid.

However with rising fuel costs im pretty sure people will be glad the property is to a higher energy efficiency standard than it was pre Green Deal.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 17:35 ----------

The installer doesn't pay for the quote. Some Green Deal providers / Assessors will charge for carrying out the survey, others will offer it for free.

If the installer is the Assessors then he pays for every quote done.

If the provider is doing the Assessment then the cost will be added somewhere.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 17:53 ----------

If the installer is the Assessors then he pays for every quote done.

If the provider is doing the Assessment then the cost will be added somewhere.

The EPC thing needs to be paid for as well. Is it just a big con or will it work, only time will tell

As I see it, it could put people off renting a property or buying a property with a green deal stamp on it.

For me at the moment I think I will go independent.

The big boys are going to make mega bucks out of this but the man with the tools are going to get peanuts.

As fuel bills rise, the running costs could equally put people off.

For example a tenant has the choice of 2 identical properties. 1 has been subject to green deal improvements, and is more energy efficient I.e. Costs less to run, and the other hasn't, but costs more to run. Which does the tenant choose? Even under worst case conditions, provided that the golden rule has been met, both properties would cost the same to run.

The deciding factor would surely then be down to which is more comfortable / desirable, which is going to be the property that has been improved.

If you have your own money in the bank, then I agree that Green Deal may not be for you.

So the poor pay for landlords to do there houses up, yep seems really fair to me.

As fuel bills rise, the running costs could equally put people off.

For example a tenant has the choice of 2 identical properties. 1 has been subject to green deal improvements, and is more energy efficient I.e. Costs less to run, and the other hasn't, but costs more to run. Which does the tenant choose? Even under worst case conditions, provided that the golden rule has been met, both properties would cost the same to run.

The deciding factor would surely then be down to which is more comfortable / desirable, which is going to be the property that has been improved.

If you have your own money in the bank, then I agree that Green Deal may not be for you.

That's a lot of complicated maths for a potential tenant to work out and would only ever be a best guess given that's all you can do when forecasting future energy costs.

I would suspect the monthly rental figure will be the primary deciding factor. Is a tenant of a rented property going to gain any benefit over a 6 month tenancy agreement?