When your dog's not so keen?

I am thinking tentatively of getting another dog.

My problem is I have a little yorkie who is not exactly keen on other dogs. I know it's our fault that he isn't very sociable. We should have done more in the past to get it sorted. He thinks he's a human:suspect: My inlaws have a staffy and when they're together he just ignores her. On walks he's happy to have a sniff of another dog but nothing more. He does have little dog sydrome :rolleyes:

Obviously I would want both dogs to be happy.

So doggy folk, what would you do to be able to make your home a happy home for two dogs?

Thanks for any advice.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 15:59 ----------

Forgot to add, needs to be a non-shedding dog of some sort.

At least he is not attacking other dogs or being nervous, it sounds like he is quite calm and passive and tolerates being around them but is not one for playing with other dogs. I once had my (normally boisterous and playful) dog totally ignore another older dog. He wouldn't even make eye contact with it, even though it was friendly and wanted to interact.

It would be advisable, if you are looking for another dog, to find one who is calm and 'low energy' so the new addition does not overly bother him.

I think that would be my advice too, also probably one a female too so there isn't the "top" dog battle ( although she would need to be spayed so u dont have the opposite problem)

The poodle is the obvious non-shedding dog but poodles are very intelligent and without proper mental stimulation and consistent training, they too can become prone to developing the 'little dog syndrome'. A bedlington is a non-shedding dog but I would advise against a terrier to live with a yorkie who isn't keen on other dogs. Whilst bedlingtons are generally calm dogs, they have a feisty terrier streak in them.

I would consider a cockerpoo. I know a lot of people don't like the 'designer' names and say that because they aren't a recognised breed, the coats and temperaments can vary. However, almost all of the cockerpoos I have groomed have had a coat that doesn't shed, and they are all calm, friendly, sociable little dogs. I, personally, think this would be a dog to strongly consider for your requirements.