Unusual surname - Damms

There was an Alfie Damms worked at the Hallamshire steelworks

I used to work with Barry Damms at Fletchers Bakeries,Barry worked the phone system taking orders and dealing with complaints ect.,he worked for them from a lad until retirement!.He had a serious accident as a van boy a car skidded into him at the rear of his van as he was sorting an order,seriously damaging both legs which ended up being amputated!.He was always a happy pleasant bloke everyone liked him,the last I heard he had a fatal heart attack not long after he packed up work,a sad end to a nice bloke!.

my grandad is alan damms i know he origanated from parsons cross ends he had several brothers he workted in steel works married to tina damms

Facebook would be a good way to search. I am an expert at Facebook spying! He is probably a little old to have Facebook, but you could search the name Damms and look for clues in profile descriptions - do his relatives have Facebook? If so, does their education history match what you beleive? Are there any photographs that look familiar to you? Be aware that some may have married and changed their names, you could search the first name and possibly a work place i.e. Helen who works at Learn Direct. I hope this helps.

I have a relative who lives in Lincolnshire who as a plumber by the name of Brian Damms . He also plays piano, writes poetry?? And is a really good bloke.

my grandad is alan damms i know he origanated from parsons cross ends he had several brothers he workted in steel works married to tina damms

That's my uncle, I've not seen him for 30 odd years

Thanks both Asaw & Cycleracer.

Asaw: The Denis Damms you knew at Sheffield Twist Drill sounds promising as the time range could be right. He was a few years older than me which would have put him in the late teens in the 1960's. Was he very young when you knew him?

Cycleracer: The Dennis I knew should have been out of school by the 70's as he would have been in his 20's by then. Unless you meant Varsity?

Taa again to both you.

Mike Damms

Think it is the wrong one the Denis Damms I knew was in his late 20's by mid 70's Beard and came from Chesterfield

I remember an Alan Damms who was in the same class as me at Crookesmoor school about 1958/59

I remember him as someone who was great at drawing cars and things.

On 26/01/2013 at 18:38, carol1962 said:

Sorry got a bit confused.:confused::) My grandmothers side was from Tideswell (the surname Lomas) and the Damms side were from Derbyshire. The name Charles has been mentioned as well as Sarah Ann.

Hi Carol,

My great grandmother was Ada Lomas (married to John 'Jack' Damms). Ada's dad, Henry Lomas, was born in Tideswell. My grandma (Mabel) was one of Ada and John's children.

Angela

There was a Lord Mayor of Sheffield Tony Damms.

My 2 x great grandparents had the surnames Damms and they came from Holmesfield way - both are buried at St James Norton. 

There was a Mike Damms who was in charge of the laboratory at Millspaugh in the 60's and 70's. He'd have been in his 40's then.