Unusual surname - Damms

My maiden name was Damms and I'm trying to find any information about the name, or finding people with the same surname. The only thing I know about my side of the family is that they lived in the Attercliffe area of Sheffield in the 1900's, after originally moving from Tideswell. Any info would be most appreciated.:bigsmile:

I worked with Wendy Damms, her husband was Arnold Damms, think they came from Manor but not sure

I think years ago my grandparents moved onto the Manor but then moved back to Walkley. I can't recall an Arnold Damms being mentioned in the family though.

My maiden name was Damms and I'm trying to find any information about the name, or finding people with the same surname. The only thing I know about my side of the family is that they lived in the Attercliffe area of Sheffield in the 1900's, after originally moving from Tideswell. Any info would be most appreciated.:bigsmile:

Hi Carol, we have the following DAMMS interred in Burngreave Cemetery.

DAMMS Albert Son of Thomas Damms 2 8/12 47 Andrew St 1862-Feb-23

DAMMS Ann Elizabeth Daughter of Jeremiah Damms 5 wks 165 Attercliffe Road 1869-Aug-18

DAMMS Annie Elizabeth ~ 91 Northern General Hospital 1973-Jan-01

DAMMS Arthur Butchers Steel Hafter 54 17 Silver Street 1904-Dec-08

DAMMS Charles Arthur 88 Fir Vale Infimary 1963-Mar-06

DAMMS Child Stillborn 0 City General Hospital 1937-Feb-12

DAMMS Emily dau of W. Damms 5 137 Greystock Street 1907-May-23

DAMMS Ernest ~ 39 189 King James St 1921-Mar-09

DAMMS George Steel Melter 44 Sheff Union 1896-Nov-26

DAMMS George Henry Crane Driver 46 Sorby Street 1905-Jun-26

DAMMS Hannah Widow 66 16 Wilson St 1883-Apr-15

DAMMS Harold son of F J Damms 9 months 1/3 Johnson Street 1902-Mar-12

DAMMS James Walter Son of Geo Hy Damms 1 year 6 months 8 Kenyon Street 1878-Jul-26

DAMMS John Saw Smith 72 Wilson Street 1877-Jan-11

DAMMS John Labourer 64 31 Lime Street 1932-Jan-12

DAMMS John Walter son of J Damms 4 months 1ct Johnson St 1905-Jul-26

DAMMS Leslie Son of Walter 1 month 91 Halliwell Rd 1943-Mar-24

DAMMS Saml Son of Mary A Damms 5 months 24 Bressingham Rd 1882-Aug-29

DAMMS Sarah wife of Frederick Damms 38 4 Gilbert St. 1879-Dec-28

DAMMS Sarah R Daughter of Henry Rich 3 Bk 9 Corby Street 1887-May-24

DAMMS Stephen ~ 81 Sheffield Union 1908-Jan-08

DAMMS Stephen Child 2 Days Nether Edge Hosp 1954-Jun-26

DAMMS Thomas File Cutter 33 47 Andrew St 1862-Oct-20

DAMMS William Son of Frederick Damms 16 175 Martin Street 1887-Aug-27

DAMMS William labourer 58 24 Wilson St 1892-Sep-28

DAMMS William son of G H Damms 6 weeks 91 Sorby St 1905-Jun-09

http://www.friendsofburngreavecemetery.btck.co.uk

Hi Carol, we have the following DAMMS interred in Burngreave Cemetery.

DAMMS Albert Son of Thomas Damms 2 8/12 47 Andrew St 1862-Feb-23

DAMMS Ann Elizabeth Daughter of Jeremiah Damms 5 wks 165 Attercliffe Road 1869-Aug-18

DAMMS Annie Elizabeth ~ 91 Northern General Hospital 1973-Jan-01

DAMMS Arthur Butchers Steel Hafter 54 17 Silver Street 1904-Dec-08

DAMMS Charles Arthur 88 Fir Vale Infimary 1963-Mar-06

DAMMS Child Stillborn 0 City General Hospital 1937-Feb-12

DAMMS Emily dau of W. Damms 5 137 Greystock Street 1907-May-23

DAMMS Ernest ~ 39 189 King James St 1921-Mar-09

DAMMS George Steel Melter 44 Sheff Union 1896-Nov-26

DAMMS George Henry Crane Driver 46 Sorby Street 1905-Jun-26

DAMMS Hannah Widow 66 16 Wilson St 1883-Apr-15

DAMMS Harold son of F J Damms 9 months 1/3 Johnson Street 1902-Mar-12

DAMMS James Walter Son of Geo Hy Damms 1 year 6 months 8 Kenyon Street 1878-Jul-26

DAMMS John Saw Smith 72 Wilson Street 1877-Jan-11

DAMMS John Labourer 64 31 Lime Street 1932-Jan-12

DAMMS John Walter son of J Damms 4 months 1ct Johnson St 1905-Jul-26

DAMMS Leslie Son of Walter 1 month 91 Halliwell Rd 1943-Mar-24

DAMMS Saml Son of Mary A Damms 5 months 24 Bressingham Rd 1882-Aug-29

DAMMS Sarah wife of Frederick Damms 38 4 Gilbert St. 1879-Dec-28

DAMMS Sarah R Daughter of Henry Rich 3 Bk 9 Corby Street 1887-May-24

DAMMS Stephen ~ 81 Sheffield Union 1908-Jan-08

DAMMS Stephen Child 2 Days Nether Edge Hosp 1954-Jun-26

DAMMS Thomas File Cutter 33 47 Andrew St 1862-Oct-20

DAMMS William Son of Frederick Damms 16 175 Martin Street 1887-Aug-27

DAMMS William labourer 58 24 Wilson St 1892-Sep-28

DAMMS William son of G H Damms 6 weeks 91 Sorby St 1905-Jun-09

http://www.friendsofburngreavecemetery.btck.co.uk

thanks for that. Sorby Street rings a bell, but there were also some that lived on Clune Street

Wait till Hillsbro sees this one? watch this space:hihi:

Wait till Hillsbro sees this one? watch this space.:hihi:
I actually saw the thread but I couldn't find any Sheffield members of the Damms family with Tideswell roots. There were one or two with Derbyshire connections, such as the Derby-born Mary Ann Damms, living at 59 Ripon Street, Attercliffe in 1911 with her Sheffield-born husband Charles and five children. Not far away was another Derbyshire girl who married a Sheffielder, Sarah Ann Damms who hailed from Belper..:)

I actually saw the thread but I couldn't find any Sheffield members of the Damms family with Tideswell roots. There were one or two with Derbyshire connections, such as the Derby-born Mary Ann Damms, living at 59 Ripon Street, Attercliffe in 1911 with her Sheffield-born husband Charles and five children. Not far away was another Derbyshire girl who married a Sheffielder, Sarah Ann Damms who hailed from Belper..:)

Sorry got a bit confused.:confused::) My grandmothers side was from Tideswell (the surname Lomas) and the Damms side were from Derbyshire. The name Charles has been mentioned as well as Sarah Ann.

Hope this is helpful:

The surname of DAMM was a Dutch topographic name for someone who lived by a dike, especially one built to keep out the sea. The name was originally derived from the Latin word 'dam'. The Dutch language is most closely related to Low German, and its surnames have been influenced both by German and French naming practices. The preposition 'van' is found especially with habitation names, and the 'de' mainly with nicknames. The name is also spelt DAM, DAMMS and DAMME. The name was brought into England at an early date and Petrus dil Dam was documented in County Norfolk in 1273. Robertus de Dam of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379, and Johannes de Dam appeared in the same document. Robert atte Dam de Wrotham, was the vicar of Griston in County Norfolk in 1409. Most of the European surnames in countries such as England, Scotland and France were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name. Later instances of the name include George, the son of Thomas Dam and Fillis, his wife, who was baptised at St. Thomas The Apostle, London in 1679, and Anne Damme of Chipping, was recorded in the Lancashire Wills at Richmond in 1680.

There was a Dr Damms who lived on Barnsley Rd and practised at Firth Park in the sixties.

Hope this is helpful:

The surname of DAMM was a Dutch topographic name for someone who lived by a dike, especially one built to keep out the sea. The name was originally derived from the Latin word 'dam'. The Dutch language is most closely related to Low German, and its surnames have been influenced both by German and French naming practices. The preposition 'van' is found especially with habitation names, and the 'de' mainly with nicknames. The name is also spelt DAM, DAMMS and DAMME. The name was brought into England at an early date and Petrus dil Dam was documented in County Norfolk in 1273. Robertus de Dam of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379, and Johannes de Dam appeared in the same document. Robert atte Dam de Wrotham, was the vicar of Griston in County Norfolk in 1409. Most of the European surnames in countries such as England, Scotland and France were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name. Later instances of the name include George, the son of Thomas Dam and Fillis, his wife, who was baptised at St. Thomas The Apostle, London in 1679, and Anne Damme of Chipping, was recorded in the Lancashire Wills at Richmond in 1680.

Wow thanks that makes interesting reading:)

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 18:57 ----------

There was a Dr Damms who lived on Barnsley Rd and practised at Firth Park in the sixties.

Thanks but there were no doctors in our family unfortunately:(

There was a Derek Damms at Owler Lane Inter:-from1955-60not sure of where he lived.