Looking after your neighbours

I met a lovely old Lady on School Road, Crookes who had been stuck in her house for 5 days, being to frail to head out in the snow.

With the new dump of snow isolating the elderly, housebound and other sections of the community, could we please look out for our neighbours, knock on their doors, check they have milk, bread or meter cards.

its great to hear people thinking about the elderly! i live an hour away from my nan and hate to think she needs anything...my mum drives but with the roads being bad and probably going to get worse its horrible being sat here not able to do anything, good on you for making a thread like this! xx

Thats a brilliant idea.

I was thinking a similar thing this morning. I was out walking with my dog and we didn't come across the people that we usually see out with their dogs. Some of the people we see are elderly and i'm guessing they weren't out walking their dogs because of the snow. Unfortunatley, i don't know where any of these poeple live so i cant be of any help to them. But if you know an elderly or disabled person with a dog, why not offer to walk it for them if they can't get out to do it themselves :)

Netherlands Boarding and Rescue Kennels- 'Giving Local Dogs A Chance' http://www.netherlandsdogrescue.co.uk

Mill House Animal Sanctuary- 'For The Neglected We Care' http://www.animalsheltersheffield.co.uk

Thats a brilliant idea.

I was thinking a similar thing this morning. I was out walking with my dog and we didn't come across the people that we usually see out with their dogs. Some of the people we see are elderly and i'm guessing they weren't out walking their dogs because of the snow. Unfortunatley, i don't know where any of these poeple live so i cant be of any help to them. But if you know an elderly or disabled person with a dog, why not offer to walk it for them if they can't get out to do it themselves :)

Right, there are some nice folks on here! ;)

We live on an estate with quite a few elderly people, My 2 older kids have always offered help to anyone if needed and a few times if not even asked. My son helps clear snow everytime we get some so people can move about a little easier.

I think consideration for your fellow man is sadly on the wane and we should start showing it more and more in these harder days.

Whilst i have a very low opinion of humans as a whole,it's heart warming to see that there are still some decent people left......

One of my neighbours is an elderly couple,i always move the snow on their drive and offer to get shopping etc,

i just wish more people would have a little more compassion towards other people.....

Most peoples attitude is if it doesn't affect them then why bother.....selfish

some people are not as nice, i remember when we were living at our old house and my OH was doing the front garden with the strimmer, just tiding up the edges and he went on to the neighbors and trimmed his edges of grass to tidy both sides up and next thing you know the man in the house was calling him every name under the sun! not because he was cutting hi grass because it was to early! im sorry but 12.30pm is not early to cut the grass lol !! x

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 17:40 ----------

Whilst i have a very low opinion of humans as a whole,it's heart warming to see that there are still some decent people left......

One of my neighbours is an elderly couple,i always move the snow on their drive and offer to get shopping etc,

i just wish more people would have a little more compassion towards other people.....

Most peoples attitude is if it doesn't affect them then why bother.....selfish

i could not agree more x