Bole Hill School Walkley

I've spoken to Dad today and he remembers the surname Rowen and he seems to think they lived on Bell Hagg Road. He's gone home now to try and think of some more names. He also remembers a Norman but can't recall the surname.

I have sent you a PM with his surname.

Anyone go to Bole Hill County School Walkley in the 40's or possibly have relatives who went there in that period. I went to this school from 1942 - 1950 starting in Miss Bryant's class

Hi I (Michael Ward) and my younger sister went to BOLE HILL ROAD SCHOOL myself 1947- 1954 and my sister Pamela Ward 1950-1954 , we found it to be a very nice old school with a lot of the old school values, sadly we moved away in 1954 to Pitsmoor as the house we were living in 282 Heavygate Road, Crookes was uninhabitable due to a very large hole in the roof and the rafters were rotten ! What a shock to the system that was going to a new school at Burngreave it was more like a prison not what I had been used too I might add !!!

My Grandmother went there in 1907 but can't get much more sadly she died in nineteen seventy three 

Bole Hill School I will never forget,although I attended Hillfoot County School all the boys in my class and above had to make the trek up there for woodwork on Friday afternoons!.This entailed me walking home to Owlerton from Hillfoot ,gobbling down my dinner then walking from home to Bole 
Hill School with my rolled up woodworking apron in my pocket!.On one occasion I arrived late after the lesson had started our teacher a Mr Ball a big burly bully boy stopped everything and started on me with his humilliation routine,I tried to explain but to no avail and I shut my ears to his rantings until he came out with remarks about my parents probably being boozers and not bothering about my behaviour so I asked him if he would like to repeat this to my father who I assured him he would be knocked out if he did!.At this instead it was me who was knocked unconcious by Mr Ball in full view of the class,a real tough guy twice my size,when I came round he pushed me under my bench and made me stay there for the full lesson!.My father saw my swollen face when I sat at the teatable and asked about it,I told him it was due to an accident,I had to be careful what I said to him as he was an old fashioned bloke who would probably given me a clip as well!.Any way he got it out of me and he contacted the school,Mr Ball ended up at our house crapping himself,he came out will a crock of lies you would not believe and my old man swallowed it hook line and sinker so I made a discreet exit outside and let down one of his tyres on his moggy minor!.I never went to another woodwork lesson again after that so I think he got off light!.

Just remembered a funny incident that happened one playtime break at Bole Hill School,at playtime the gates in the schoolyard were locked,we used to hang about there to get a glimse of the outside world instead of the high school walls!.So this day a bloke was riding down the street outside on a pushbike he must have been a window cleaner for he had a bucket on the handlebars and a ladder over his shoulder the ones with a large hooked end on!.As he got opposite us the hook facing his nearside went neatly round a gaslamp lifting him bodily high into the air with his bike careering on down the hill,I know we shouldn,t laugh but it was so funny,he heard us and went berserk the swearing was off the scale,it was a good job the gates were locked or I don,t think I would be telling the tale now!.