Member of staff at Jobcentre showing her true colours?

Whoever this woman was referring to it is still completely unacceptable to be saying it.. whether it be about staff, customers or anyone else. Disgusting attitude and something she should be reprimanded over

Whoever this woman was referring to it is still completely unacceptable to be saying it.. whether it be about staff, customers or anyone else. Disgusting attitude and something she should be reprimanded over

If she was it is long forgotten as the OP was in January '13.

When did this happen?

I worked at a jobcentre for about 8 years. Just imagine going to work every day facing the constant abuse , witnessing the collossal amount of **** taking of the system, dealing with druggies drunks young scrotes, people who can't manage 3 words of English, the constant lying, not to mention the feelings of the genuine job seeker. I'm surprised anyone can stand to do it at all. Let alone hold their tongue.

Edited by Nankypoo

Chelle_82 ... Hullo :) You are not by any chance married to that other master of 'the devils advocate' Mr Halibut :hihi::hihi:

Whether it be 100% successful or not (and nothing is guaranteed) it would still be a deterrent for those who turn up, get their giro or whatever it is called these days and go straight out and buy drugs/alcohol/cigs with it..

The thing is, you dont go on benefits out of want, you do it out of need.

The US (watch 15 minutes of a US broadcast of Fox "news" and you will hear the same EXACT things youre spouting on about. Everyone on benefits does it for the lifestyle, theyre all on drugs, having kids to build an empire thanks to the benefits system, etc, etc.

The threshold to be on benefits is a lot lower than it is here, and people are still on them and it still gets abused.

I cant believe what i heard earlier today! I was in the Jobcentre at West St (across from West St Live music venue) when i heard a member of staff complain about the unemployed saying "these people must be mentally retarded!" This was said loud and clear, within earshot of a lady who i got talking to, who was with a guy with mild learning difficulties looking for work! Now i understand the job may be stressful, and staff probably get a lot of flak, but surely they should keep some opinions to themselves?!

Depends on who "these people" are. She might have been refering to a specific customer or customers. Yes I agree not right to say but not as bad as labeling the entire unemployed as retarded.

Having very recently been made redundant from my job and only last week being in the West Street offices to arrange to sign on, I genuinely believed that I was in some sort of Dom Joly sketch show. The only people who knew what they were doing were the security "guards" who seem to be running the show. I had to help the bloke who processed my application with his IT skills and then spent 20 minutes correcting the next member of staff on her spelling. I was in there for 2 hours and I have never seen such incompetence in my life - and I've been around!

Whoever overheard this disgraceful conversation should bring these smug morons to task. It won't change them one bit but at least they'll get a shock.

Hmmmm I can totally relate to why job seekers get frustrated. I've worked 20 years and was recently made redundant. I go to a smaller job centre to sign on and I've had the most awful time with a certain member of staff. She was indifferent, unhelpful, patronising and totally disrespectful. I made a mistake signing on due to being new and inexperienced. I was sanctioned for 8 weeks for this. I have a mortgage, bills and 3 kids to support on no income. I hate being unemployed. It's only been 3 months. I've decided to go self employed as I can't deal with the poor attitude of the staff who are supposedly there to help and support. There maybe some scallies, but to tar us all with the same brush isn't fair. If I need to sign on again I'll not bother, too stressful. When I rang the helpline ( if you can call it that ) they make it so difficult to complain or appeal. I've no idea what we would've done if I hadn't any savings. (All gone now) :(

Chelle_82 ... Hullo :) You are not by any chance married to that other master of 'the devils advocate' Mr Halibut :hihi::hihi:

Hahaha NO!! :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:15 ----------

And what % of people on JSA do you think run out and spend their money on drugs and alcohol? Anything to back this up?

Hair cut is important if its pre interview and your hair is a complete mess. If you want to look presentable. Im talking once every 4-6 months. That was just one example of instances where you need cash.

Why should money be wasted on bus passes if people dont need them that week?

As for the DWP taking over the administration of peoples bills, then who will pay for that? think you will find they are unable to cope with the administrative burden as it is at the moment and their aim with universal credit is to cut out bureaucracy and the extra cost by making a monthly payment. This supposedly makes people take control of their finances and makes them more responsible. I dont see the DWP wanting to sort out payment disputes with phone and electric companies.

You still havent told us how you stop a black market in such vouchers or goods.

Do you work??

I suggest you make a formal complaint. What a good opportunity to open up a job position for someone who actually deserves it!

Don't bother. I made a complaint about the behaviour of a member of staff who was ostracising me for getting a job and daring to ask for help with the first months travelling expenses and got absolutely no response. I made the mistake of asking what was the point of them offering help and then saying you can't have it.

Do you work??

Yes thanks Chelle.

What's your job?

It doesnt preclude me thinking your ideas are incredibly short sighted and you have failed repeatedly to provide decent answers to all the weaknesses that a voucher system involves.

You keep banging on about it being a deterrent but whats your evidence of that?

Edited by 999tigger