What to read next..

So as the title goes, i am in need of some ideas for what to read next, I am 2 books away from finishing Robert Jordans 'Wheel of time' series and i need something to get my teeth into next, I am not 'into' any genre really, barring romance, i will read anything, but would like a series to get into.

I have done the usual suspects, Narnias, LOTR, All Lee Childs Jack Reacher novels, Most of Pattersons.

I really like medieval themed novels but have struggled to find anything substantial.

My recent favourites have been Ken Follets Pillars of the Earth and World without end.

So any suggestions of titles and genres along with reasons why and also what to avoid so i dont make the same mistake as Wheel of time, as once i have started a series, i finish it, no matter how jaw droppingly overly descriptive repetitive utter rubbish it turns out to be...

"Trustee of the toolroom" Neville Shute,

The plot of the novel hinges on the actions of a modest technical journalist, Keith Stewart, whose life has been focused on the design and engineering of scale-model machinery. Stewart writes serial articles about how to create scale models in a magazine called the Miniature Mechanic, which are extremely well regarded in the modelling community — as is he. Stewart is called upon to hide a metal box in his sister's and brother in law's sailboat just before they plan to leave in it to emigrate to Canada..........

Surprised to see that novel get a mention ... and I have a lateral link to it as the last book I've bought (for the maths, ostensibly) was Pilot Plants and Scale-up Methods. An old McGraw Hill text book, co authored by a Sheffield University professor (Thring 1957). From which I read something about the idea that the pilot plant (working with a few kgs) is the vital, necessary knowledge, linking the lab discovery (just a few grams) to the industrial production plant (many tonnes). :huh:

Edited by armandine2

Great novel, I highly recommend it, my dad gave me a copy years ago, I read it cover to cover in one sitting, funnily enough it reminded me of my father, he missed his calling, but for the love of a woman and his introverted personality, he could have been an inventor/innovator and have made a significant contribution to the well being of us all.................I miss him every day

A song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) for sure!!!