Trance Music Fans

Are there any trance music followers in and what sort of dance music are you in to?

I am in to the usual euphoric trance music as well as deeper melodic and harder house/psy trance.

I used to be a regular to Gatecrasher at The Republic but since it is no more I have been going to Off The Rails at The Plug.

Fellow GC reg here :)

I think im still stick in 2002/3 as i think the new stuff doesn't measure upto the old stuff at all- lol, give me Jan Johnston over the new stuff anyday!

I now many listen to Above and Beyond podcast and take the odd trip to DS or OTR.

Cool, yes she made some amazing tunes, Skydive, Flesh etc...

Above & Beyond are good though prefer their harder style, always been a fan of PVD, Armin, Corsten and the like.

tbh i find trance a little bit samey and cheesy, my dance days started in the rave days 90/91 etc, the palais music factory, jungle and drum and bass in the illegal blues clubs on pitsmoor, sharrow and broomhall. aswell as soundsystems playing illegal house parties all over sheff lol, byt he likes of smokescreen and diy

always loved drum and bass, techno, real funky tough house and the classic rave / dance choons, ambient and chill out

artists ive always loved stuff like moby, prodigy, orbital, faithless, orb, daft punk, future sound of london, eat static, ultramarine, sonic solution etc etc etc too many to list

on a trancey tip ive always like a bit of platypus records now and again

such as this tune

and

think i have this one on vinyl too, rings a bell

Edited by melthebell

I'm probably in the same boat as Mel here, more of an ambient trance fan as opposed to hard clubbing stuff. But I do like Above & Beyond and Armin van Buuren as well. When the mood takes me I can get into stuff on labels like Tidy Trax and so on as well.

Yes I love Trance! Recently saw Paul Van Dyk in Brixton and just over a year ago AVB in Madrid. I listen to Judge Jules regularly, his podcast for instance and he plays a lot of trancey stuff.

Other than that I like Dirty South, Avicii, Tiesto......

I'm going to try and get to Global Gathering this year as Ibiza is just too much for me these days for a whole week! But going to Vegas soon and it looks like there are going to be a few DJs playing out there.

Not a big fan of Trance myself, but having spent 2 hours in a DJ booth with Jordan Suckley I can safely say he's one of the best DJs Iv ever seen live and created an awesome atmosphere.

I've been part of many clubbing scenes over the years, ie. trance, techno, acid, hard house, hardstyle, industrial, drum & bass (but not dubstep :gag:) but trance will allways be a timeless dance genre in my opinion.

I used to go to Crasher at Republic, but when that burnt down there wasn't really a regular trance night in sheffield until Off The Rails. This is always a good night, and it's the 6th birthday in a few weeks at plug.

From todays trance, i think the anjunabeats tracks are always good, although I do feel that Above and Beyond have started playing a lot slower tempo housey type stuff from the anjunadeep label that doesn't quite cut it in a trance club.

Anything by Above and Beyond and Super8 and Tab. Hoping to check out more sheffield trance nights as use to love these sorts of nights when I lived down in Bristol area but since moving to sheffield not got any mates who love trance like I do!!

That off the rails night in march looks good, might try and get few people to come to this..

I used to go to Crasher at Republic, but when that burnt down there wasn't really a regular trance night in sheffield until Off The Rails.

Apart from Planet Zogg which has been running most months since 2000. It used to very much play the techier psy side of trance with regular guest from undergrounds side of trance - Beamish, Oberon, Darren Shambhala, Mark Sinclair etc with regular live acts before evolving to a more psy techno/breaks type sound.

I think i'm with Meltthebelt - i think straight trance probably reached its peak with Platypus. I was never a big fan of the GC trance which *personally* I found a bit too overblown - but there's no denying its popularity a decade ago.

Edited by jake

Apart from Planet Zogg which has been running most months since 2000. It used to very much play the techier psy side of trance with regular guest from undergrounds side of trance - Beamish, Oberon, Darren Shambhala, Mark Sinclair etc with regular live acts before evolving to a more psy techno/breaks type sound.

I think i'm with Meltthebelt - i think straight trance probably reached its peak with Platypus. I was never a big fan of the GC trance which *personally* I found a bit too overblown - but there's no denying its popularity a decade ago.

Yes, Planet Zogg is always a good night although the Psy-trance style attracts a different crowd to euphoric trance and is always a different vibe. Gatecrasher dabbled with a bit of psy trance with the likes of John 00 Fleming and Christopher Lawrence.

Every time I go to Planet Zogg I always ask Dil or Greg to play more techno DJ's. Techno in my opinion is a lot better style than pure psy trance as I always loved Headcharge.

Any promoters reading this? - Sheffield needs a good regular techno night!!!

Well me and a friend went to OTR Trance Classics night last month at Plug and it was a smashing night given the snow.

He is also in to Planet Zogg and has told me he goes to Ascension as well, his name is Tony Wright.

I have just met him through Remploy and he is trying to get me some work on the door at the Plug for the Planet Zogg night next week, I am more in to euphoric trance but he is more in to psy trance and techno.

On another note, does anyone know the management at the Howard pub because I would love to know how I go about getting some work on the door stamping people's hands like they do at the pre-party nights before OTR.