Favourite sitcoms during 70's/80's

steptoe and son and the lovers,z cars and dixon of dock green as i recall

About 1976 there was a sitcom 'I didn't know you cared'.A young man(called Carter, I think) was always daydreaming about 'having a pint with Freddy Trueman'. His blond girlfriend was called Linda Preston and old Uncle Mort was played brilliantly by Robin Bailey. A great show which I don't think has ever been shown as a repeat.
part of that sitcom was filmed around myrtle road and the back of the general cemetary in sheffield

As a small child, I liked Butterflies The Liver Birds but that was tragic when they remade it. I liked the Goodies but not caught any of the reruns yet. Citizen Smith was good as well.

Lots of good 80's sitcoms - I used to really like one called 'Relative strangers' that and was shown on channel 4 had Matthew Kelly in it and a bloke called Mark who used to be in Grange Hill. Dot Cotton was also in it.

And then the usual - Fawlty towers, Young ones, Blackadder, Only fools and horses.

Alf Garnet? can't remember the name of the series. Peter Cook & Dudley Moore?

Two Ronnies.

Those really made me squirm even back then so god knows what it would be like now watching them now!

I liked Porridge, The Liver Birds, Butterflies, Citizen Smith and The Young Ones.

My sentiments exactly! And I'd add Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin to the "like" list. Can see the mother-in-law hippo image before me now!

Sorry! Ronnie corbett

The Cedar Tree (not a sitcom but i loved it)

Duchess of Duke Street (eary eastender's meets hotel babylon)

Yeah that "French" bird in Mind Your Language was a bit of allright to my young mind.

Imagine the hell to play if it was shown nowadays. Indian hating the Pakistani, the Greek full of gold chains and hairy chest, the Italian fighting with the Spaniard etc. Wasn't there an uptight comedy German as well?

It was still being shown recently, well at least 2 years ago on the now terminated Granada Plus channel. Did not see it as offensive at all......just funny. Yes the German was a frumpy bird called Anna, the typical stereotyped version. And the Chinese girl, Su Ying, with her Chairmen MAO quote book was hilarious......and the French bird, oh yes, very very French. It was just all innocent fun and who could find offence in that. The ENglish were also stereotyped in this series as well, like the workshy caretaker and the uptight Headmistress spinster Miss Courtney.....funny.

The big point of "Love thy Neighbour" was to get racism out in the open, and show what prats the racists were.

If you have a PC coverup and don't show racism being stupid, it will grow in the dark like fungus; pull it into the light and it will wither

True..its now a best selling complete DVD set...its very good as well, and this too was shown again fairly recently on the terminated G Plus channel, although at odd times.

Love Thy Neighbour,Rising Damp, Porridge and On The Buses. These still bring a smile just thinking of 'em especially LTN:) :)

On the Buses, Hi De Hi, Duty Free, Fresh Fields, Fawlty Towers... I watched them all.

And that bloke who was Blakey in On the Buses is still in Last of the Summer Wine as far as I know, crikey he must be getting on a bit cos he was an old geezer when he was in OTB and that was in the mid 70s, nearly 30 years ago.

About 1976 there was a sitcom 'I didn't know you cared'.A young man(called Carter, I think) was always daydreaming about 'having a pint with Freddy Trueman'. His blond girlfriend was called Linda Preston and old Uncle Mort was played brilliantly by Robin Bailey. A great show which I don't think has ever been shown as a repeat.

I used to love this, but you never see it on repeats. There were characters called Uncle Mort and Staveley I think as well. The mother/grandmother of the family was some sort of diy expert and did all their house repairs. I would love to see this again!

There was a great early 70s sitcom called "The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs" which starred David Jason as a bungling MI5 office boy. I thought it was brilliant but apparently no-one else liked it or remembers it.

Story of my life that is...