Maybe moving to Sheffield..trying to find good-ish area?

Hi guys, this is my first post and we (hubby and myself) are thinking of moving to Sheffield - at the moment we live in Liverpool (we are not Scousers ourselves) and we really don't like it that much. I got used to some things and I like the area we live in (ie wholefoods shop around the corner, street with cafes and a park), but in general we are not that happy here. Not a great deal of choice when it comes to nice areas either (and we are actually not that picky)..Everything looks so depressive..even the not so bad areas..these ones are usually just dull.

I read the threads about the best areas in Sheffield but still find it hard to get a feeling for it. At the moment we are just browsing Rightmove to have a little look. All I know is that it should not be too far from Greystones and have easy access to the City Centre as we don't have a car.

In Liverpool we found that you can't really go by areas but you have to go by streets if you are looking for a decent area (unless you are minted enough to live in the few rich areas). So maybe someone who knows Liverpool reads my post and can get an idea of what we are after.

Sheffield would still be close enough to where my hubbies parents live and not as expensive as the South. And the last few times I've been to Sheffield I really liked it.

Ok, so at the moment we are lucky enough to live in a green area by Lark Lane/Sefton Park (Aigburth) and we live in a basement flat of a big Edwardian House. We really like it because we have our own entrance and back garden. And we only pay 450 incl heating. I know we can't expect to get that ever again but you never know :-) We are a working couple (self employed) and some parts of Aigburth are a bit rough but it's mostly a decent area - Sefton Park on one end and the river Mersey on the other. The people around here are a bit student/hippy-ish..I quite like that. We also have trees in our area (very important - I really can't cope with tree-less terraced house streets). There is also a road nearby with shops - which is convenient and it's not far to town. However, it's not noisy at all so it would be great if it's not so busy that we fall out of bed at night.

What we really want to avoid are areas like the North of Liverpool - Bootle, Huyton, Norris Green etc.

So all in all - we are not rich, we rent, we have no kids but we do have some ideas when it comes to the area we want to live in. Not too boring, not too posh and a bit of hippyness ..haha

I would love to have some input :-)

Wow great!! Yes while you were posting I googled a bit and came up with the same postcode! Lol :-)

From the sounds of it ... anywhere between Netheredge, Ecclesall Road, Crookes & Walkley would suit you quite well. All those areas have an eclectic mix of people, cafe culture, great parks easy access to city centre. You will however struggle to find anything anywhere near to your £450 (incl. heating) current rent in those areas. More along the lines of nearer the £500 - £550 mark excluding all bills.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

x

Hello there. I'm across the water from you and my folks still live in Sheffield.

What in particular is drawing you to Sheffield? If you're used to great transport links and a vibrant city like Liverpool, Sheffield is going to seem like a step back - especially being land-locked as it is. We're very lucky in having some lovely beaches and coast all well connected by the train.

Just take a look at the threads on here about the city centre, the sporting facilities in jeopardy, and it will give you an impression of the issues the city faces. Liverpool faces the same problems but its got its feet well under the table as far as tourism goes.

Don't judge the place just because you've been a couple of times. When the rose tinted tourist specs come off things can look different.

If you like Lark Lane then perhaps stay local and try somewhere on the Wirral? Oxton village is very similar (but a bit smaller), or West Kirby. Or staying on your side of the water - Brighton Le Sands.

Threads like this are pointless. Someone will say X is a good area, someone else will come along and say no it isnt, and that Y is, and it all decays into a slanging match and name calling and the OP is left wondering why they bothered asking in the first place.

Just seen this on Property to Let listings on here .....

Property Type: 3 bed House

Price: £550 per month

Further details

3 bed semi with off road parking , modern decoration, full or semi furnished , large garden , new kitchen and bathroom , suitable for professional couple looking for short term let tel 07786914800 must be kept clean and tidy and gardens maintained tel 07786914800

Hello there. I'm across the water from you and my folks still live in Sheffield.

What in particular is drawing you to Sheffield? If you're used to great transport links and a vibrant city like Liverpool, Sheffield is going to seem like a step back - especially being land-locked as it is. We're very lucky in having some lovely beaches and coast all well connected by the train.

Just take a look at the threads on here about the city centre, the sporting facilities in jeopardy, and it will give you an impression of the issues the city faces. Liverpool faces the same problems but its got its feet well under the table as far as tourism goes.

Don't judge the place just because you've been a couple of times. When the rose tinted tourist specs come off things can look different.

If you like Lark Lane then perhaps stay local and try somewhere on the Wirral? Oxton village is very similar (but a bit smaller), or West Kirby. Or staying on your side of the water - Brighton Le Sands.

The Wirral is nice but too much to travel to the City. We are self-employed but for many reasons, we have to stay local as we are often in Liverpool und Brighton Le Sands is also too far from where we often are (I know it's complicated). In fact its's not only the city - it's the atmospehere and well..please don't take offence but I just can't cope with the people.

Even the non-chavs .. Scousers have a good sense of humour as long as they can make jokes about other people. It's difficult to get into their circle of friends and they are incredibly touchy when you try to crack a joke....lol...sorry I know that's a bit stereotype but it's my experience (before I moved here everyone told me how great the people are) and I lived in other parts of the UK. But I never came across something like Liverpool...

Since I moved here I am very depressed. I know everyone is different - some people really LOVE Liverpool but I tried really hard and it just won't click...

Maybe I will find that Sheffield won't suit me either but we have friends from there and they just seem to be more oustretching in their hospitality and love (sorry sounds cheesy)..And I know googling is not the best way to do it either but it seems Sheffield scores higher on the popularity scale in General..

But I am otherwise open for your opinions :)

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 14:47 ----------

From the sounds of it ... anywhere between Netheredge, Ecclesall Road, Crookes & Walkley would suit you quite well. All those areas have an eclectic mix of people, cafe culture, great parks easy access to city centre. You will however struggle to find anything anywhere near to your £450 (incl. heating) current rent in those areas. More along the lines of nearer the £500 - £550 mark excluding all bills.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

x

Yeah I know :D

I won't hold my breath!

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 14:48 ----------

Just seen this on Property to Let listings on here .....

Property Type: 3 bed House

Price: £550 per month

Further details

3 bed semi with off road parking , modern decoration, full or semi furnished , large garden , new kitchen and bathroom , suitable for professional couple looking for short term let tel 07786914800 must be kept clean and tidy and gardens maintained tel 07786914800

thanks I'll have a look!

I would also say Ecclesall Road, Netheredge, Broomhill, Crookes.

Broomhill has some nice properties and isn't too far to walk to the city centre (20mins or so) - or if you don't fancy that, the number 52 bus is never far away.

TIn fact its's not only the city - it's the atmospehere and well..please don't take offence but I just can't cope with the people.

Even the non-chavs .. Scousers have a good sense of humour as long as they can make jokes about other people. It's difficult to get into their circle of friends and they are incredibly touchy when you try to crack a joke....lol...sorry I know that's a bit stereotype but it's my experience (before I moved here everyone told me how great the people are) and I lived in other parts of the UK. But I never came across something like Liverpool...

I know *exactly* what you mean.

Threads like this are pointless. Someone will say X is a good area, someone else will come along and say no it isnt, and that Y is, and it all decays into a slanging match and name calling and the OP is left wondering why they bothered asking in the first place.

Post like yours are more pointless than asking a harmless question and who cares what the answers are ,it makes an interesting read

Jog on

Maybe I will find that Sheffield won't suit me either but we have friends from there and they just seem to be more oustretching in their hospitality and love (sorry sounds cheesy)..And I know googling is not the best way to do it either but it seems Sheffield scores higher on the popularity scale in General..

Have you spoken to your friends in Sheffield about where to move?

One of the great things about Sheffield, for those who bother to look, is the fantastic countryside within a short drive of most parts of the city.

Regards

Doom