Recommend an architect MEGATHREAD

try John Butterworth at Architectural Drawings Ltd. His office number is 01226240351 or his website is architecturaldrawingsltd.co.uk,

Anyone know of any good architects as wanting extension on house thanks

Phil Khorasandjian Carr Road Walkley.

I want to build an extension, anyone can recommend an architect to do drawings?

I need an architect who is innovative and can give advice and prepare drawings for an extension, can anyone advise me?

Edited by nikki-red

Hello, can anyone recommend an architect?

Looking at getting some drawings sorted and planning permission asap.

We have a 3 bed detached house (1950s), we are looking at extending on the rear of the house (instead of side) to create a large rear bedroom with en-suite, family room downstairs, and a larger kitchen.

If anyone can recommend some rough cost that would be great. I can get the groundworks sorted through a friend

Thank you

I probably can. We had a similar sort of job done a few years ago and I was put in touch with a lad who worked for a city firm of architects, but did some private work on the side. He was excellent. Nice to deal with, and he drew up some really good plans - including he also was able to show us how it would look in 3D on his computer - so it really brought it all to life for us.

I can't remember his name now and I wouldn't "out him" on here even if I could, just in case his employers didn't know about his little sideline! But I'll go back through my files and send you a PM with his details if I can find it.

May I offer you some tips - having done this before and project managed the whole thing?

1 Expect the groundworks to be expensive - and more expensive than your friend may quote you for. We spent literally thousands on the groundworks - concrete is expensive and our building inspector wanted loads of it! We had trees adjoining the property and he insisted on going down to the centre of the earth almost with very deep foundations - a lot of money got poured into a hole doing that.

2 Think how big you want the extension - then add at least another metre on to that (assuming you have the space to do that). We turned a 3 bed detached into a 5 bed detached. We went out at the sides and the back as well to give us a large kitchen/sun lounge area. We could have easily gone out a bit further at the back with the extension, but on the plans it already seemed big enough. However, we then put a large island in the centre of the kitchen and a few chairs around it - and there are times when a fridge/freezer door is open, or people are sitting around the island, when it feels like it would have been nice just to have another metre or so to get around, without squeezing through. You won't regret making it slightly larger and it won't cost much more to do that.

3 Consider underfloor heating. We fitted it in part, downstairs and we wished we'd ran it through the whole house now. It's brilliant. Runs off the hot water system and is like having one large underfloor radiator. Economical and warm.

4 Start at the back and work to the front. When we did ours it was all about the house - I wish we'd have started by sorting out the rear garden first because that would have been a logical way to do it. We ended up having to run machinery down the side of the house and taking down walls we'd just built in order to sort the garden out afterwards. We didn't think to do the garden first, not because we are thick, but because we thought...oh that can wait, let's see how much the house costs us first.

5 If you are going to fit solar panels, now's the time to do it, whilst you're messing around with the rest of the house. We don't have them but it's something I wish we'd done at the time.

6 Assuming you are going to need to alter the roof, make sure you are quoted by the architect for a "cut roof". A cut roof is where the guys literally make the roof on site. Most architects, so I'm led to believe, just quote for ready-made trusses, in their plans. The problem with ready made trusses is that, depending on the age of your house (and yours is quite old) they may not fit exactly as the angles of your existing roof will have moved. We had this problem and it was a nightmare! Don't buy ready made trusses - a cut roof is what you will need.

7 My last tip, if you can afford it, bugger off out of the place and go live somewhere else whilst it's being done. It's really not nice being amongst all that dust and dirt and for the sake of a bit more money, I'd seriously suggest you look to move out and rent something while that is going on.

Can anyone recommend an architect to draw up plans for a double story side extension and a rear single story kitchen diner extension?

thanks,

Dave

Hello

If you're still looking for an Architect I can recommend Norton Mayfield Architects in Sheffield 0114 2700014.

I probably can. We had a similar sort of job done a few years ago and I was put in touch with a lad who worked for a city firm of architects, but did some private work on the side. He was excellent. Nice to deal with, and he drew up some really good plans - including he also was able to show us how it would look in 3D on his computer - so it really brought it all to life for us.

I can't remember his name now and I wouldn't "out him" on here even if I could, just in case his employers didn't know about his little sideline! But I'll go back through my files and send you a PM with his details if I can find it.

May I offer you some tips - having done this before and project managed the whole thing?

1 Expect the groundworks to be expensive - and more expensive than your friend may quote you for. We spent literally thousands on the groundworks - concrete is expensive and our building inspector wanted loads of it! We had trees adjoining the property and he insisted on going down to the centre of the earth almost with very deep foundations - a lot of money got poured into a hole doing that.

Hi Derbytup

This is great advice. We have just decided to change a few things around the house we have moved in last August.

Would like some more advice if you can PM me.

M

Guest makapaka

Could anyone recommend an architect to produce plans for an extension to a semi detached property and internal layout changes.

Including any planning submissions as necessary.

Thanks.