Three Tuns city centre

Hey tickers, I wouldn't get your notebooks in a knot. It's a punch pub, so they'll be 'tied' to stocking the usual suspects. A nice pint of Carling Black Label anyone? :gag:

There are still some nice ales on the Punch list

Used to go in the Bottom Tuns as it was know (the Top Tuns being on Leopold Street) all the time when John and Andrea Conroy had it and for a while after they left. The pub used to be spotlessly clean and the beer was really well kept. Unfortunatly it went downhill and we went in about 6 months ago and were plagued by what I presumed to be barflies which is usually a sign that the place isnt that clean.

Good luck to the new Land lady the pub deserves to do well.

Funnily enough it was known as the Mucky Pub in the circles I moved in 1975-85. Not sure why, it seemed much the same as other town pubs of the time.

I'm pleased it's getting a refurb. I also went in some months ago and noticed the flies, general run down state and the beer wasn't very good either.

I like the shape of the pub - particularly the pointy bit, it feels like you're at the front of a ship down that end.

It used to be 3 cottages before being turned into a pub and there is a ghost in there that turns the lines on and off. I was helping John Conroy in the celler and it went icy cold for a few seconds then back to normal. John just said oh she's paid us a visit.

Dont know why it was called a Mucky pub, it regularly won the Camra clean Pub of the month award.

Anybody been?

What's it like inside?

What choice of beer do they have on (not bothered about the fizzy water they call lager)?

Regards

Doom

No thornbridge... please! Way too many thornbridge places already

Apparently its open now again - that was a quick quality makeover !- but me and my dog have not been in yet - has anybody been?

It looks a nice fetching red colour outside and nice to see the 3 tun barrels hanging over the door ;)

We went for the first time on Friday night.

Not a massive selection of beers (about 4 I think), but one was Jaipur so I was a hoppy camper. I didn't think £3/pint for Jaipur was bad. More expensive than The Swim, but cheaper than the likes of Dev Cat, Sheffield Tap etc.

A couple of other observations:

1. The beer was served in one of the old styled dimpled glasses with a handle....That was certainly a blast from the past.

2. Everybody congregated in the lower level making it difficult to get to the bar, but when we took our drinks up to the upper level there was hardly anybody there......I wish people would move away from the bar to let others get in.

Regards

Doom