When did 'of' take over from 'have'?

Amazed at the number of articles, posts etc where people use the word 'of' in place of 'have', eg "we should of got three points today". Is it a new slang thing or do people just simply not know?. It's not a dig, I might just be behind the times!.

Amazed at the number of articles, posts etc where people use the word 'of' in place of 'have', eg "we should of got three points today". Is it a new slang thing or do people just simply not know?. It's not a dig, I might just be behind the times!.

You of behind the times.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:
You of behind the times.

It's my pet hate.

I have no idea where it started, but it's hideous. It has the same effect on me as someone scraping their nails down a blackboard.

It's my pet hate.

I have no idea where it started, but it's hideous. It has the same effect on me as someone scraping their nails down a blackboard.

Jesus!! That of bad? You of need of help.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 19:40 ----------

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I actually of laughed myself :hihi::hihi:

It's probably because in speech many people say, using your example "Should've".

Should've sounds similar to should of so I assume that's why.

It's definitely indicative of poor education though.

I've always assumed that in speech it has come from should've. I'm not sure, but perhaps,in the north as a whole, that is an easy contraction to pronounce, certainly my OH stresses the 've as 'of' in her Yorkshire accent. I would put the writing down to ignorance of the correct usage, or people who type as they literally speak, both of which are common.

Jesus!! That of bad? You of need of help.

Sod of ;)

I've not noticed that in any articles and I read quite a lot. I imagine it is just in informal communication where a more phonetic spelling is common. I think it is great that people can feel free to write what they feel without the constraints of worrying whether or not they are conforming to standard English or not. I really enjoy it when you can get a flavour of how the individual speaks; the intonations and dialect. You can't get that when reading opinion pieces in journals or newspapers. It feels very down to earth and democratic to me.

It probably is just bad grammar,i know some posters do type in a yorkshire accent though.

Id never heard of it until I lived in the North West about 5 years ago. There it's the norm

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think its just a figure have speech. Its not all if us who are perfect in speeling an prownunsiayshon, but Im do trying. Im do ave the same prooblem when hordering fings at Macdonilds drife-throo. Big Mick an lurge freyes plea. An a bananana mlikshayke wiv a sid ordor of Crunshie McFurry. Im never get the rite ordor, butt wen im do geeting it, it veery nise indded.