Where are the gritters?

But as per usual.. as is the same every time it so much as gets frosty..... everyone is screaming waaaa. where are the gritters???. waaaa. I have had to slow down slightly!!! waaaaa. My drive home has been made longer!!! waaa My drive home has been a slight challenge. waaaa I have had to take it steady. waaaaa. I might not be able to get on my minor road. waaa. i might have to walk a few feet.....

....Come on people lets get a grip.

Its a flurry of a light snow not the bloody artic circle. There are countries in the world that have 10 times this 6 months of the year. Amazing how they seem to cope every day every week without all this fuss.

Pun not intended.

The gritters have been and still are out. I keep seeing them going past my office window.

Most people know whether their commute to work (or whatever) would be impossible if they couldn't go by car. If that is the case, get some winter tyres. They should be the same price (near enough) as normal tyres but your normal tyres won't be wearing down whilst you've get winter tyres on - so you're not really spending money.

I HAVEN'T put winter tyres on but I'm quite fortunate in that I don't have to use the car to get to work. If I do choose to drive in, like I did tonight, then I clear the road from my house to the main road. I then grit it - I ensure that the grit bin is full plus I have the added bonus of being a snow warden so have a tonne of grit available.

At some point people will realise that snow - even a small amount - slows down the traffic and causes disruption in Sheffield. The more people that are willing to invest in winter tyres and the more people who are willing to clear their side street - the less disruption there will be. I look forward to that day - blummin' heck, that pig flying past the window looks cold!

Whilst gritting the main roads has to be a priority, that's no good to most people if they can't get off their estates onto the main roads.

To keep things moving it's crucial that local grit bins are regularly topped up in this sort of weather.

Do Amey regularly fill grit bins in this sort of weather or do they rely on the residents to let them know grit bins need refilling (my guess is that most will need refilling after tonight)?

Regards

Doom

From Council website...

Filling Grit Bins

We fill grit bins at the start of the season and again whenever we know that they are empty. We aim to keep them 30% full so please let us know if they are running low.

Some grit bins are owned by other organisations so we only the replenish the ones that belong to us.

Report a grit (salt) bin as running low, or empty.

Why dont you report an empty bin and they might come out and fill it then. Im sure that even Amey are not psychic.

From Council website...

Filling Grit Bins

We fill grit bins at the start of the season and again whenever we know that they are empty. We aim to keep them 30% full so please let us know if they are running low.

Some grit bins are owned by other organisations so we only the replenish the ones that belong to us.

Report a grit (salt) bin as running low, or empty.

Why dont you report an empty bin and they might come out and fill it then. Im sure that even Amey are not psychic.

Thanks for that ECCOnoob. We have this type of post every year & still people can't get their heads round ringing up & asking for the grit bins to be filled. We rang the Council's one-stop number 2 weeks ago & asked for the grit bin on our road to be filled. It was done the next day.

Does anyone have an emergency contact number that I can ring for Gritting services?

We live in a cul-de-sac which hasn't been treated. Lots of elderly and disabled people live at the bottom of this hill. One of which is epileptic and needs her medication today otherwise she will run out..

Thanks in advance.

theres a link in this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111847

to which roads are cleared as part of the contract.

(and get ready for the posters coming onto here from this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9498954

to tell you to do it yourself")

thankyou guys.

the roads clear at the top of the hill. noone can get out down here; only her husband but cars stuck at the bottom lol.

Threads merged. Please try and keep to one topic one thread.

does anyone know a phone number for gritting. tried the amy one to no avail thanks

list in here of the roads that Amey are doing:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111847

the relevant post is this one:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc...g%20routes.pdf

^that's the list of roads that get gritted, most are secondary roads so could in theory take upto 5 1/2 hours to be gritted.

does anyone know a phone number for gritting. tried the amy one to no avail thanks

I`m intrigued, what are ringing them about?