Sheffield fruit market - monkey house

Does anyone remember the old Sheffield fruit and veg market which used to be near the current Ponds Forge site? I am sure that my Dad used to take me in the early sixties when as well as fruit and veg you could buy monkeys, parrots and I am sure other animals? Or is it just my imagination?

Does anyone remember the old Sheffield fruit and veg market which used to be near the current Ponds Forge site? I am sure that my Dad used to take me in the early sixties when as well as fruit and veg you could buy monkeys, parrots and I am sure other animals? Or is it just my imagination?

Sure this wasn't the Hen and Chickens?

Before that, there was a cavernous structure in the old rag & tag, like a big old barn with a dirt floor, where animals were held in cages stacked one on top of another. We bought tortoises there. They sold a wide range of animals, but not sure about monkeys.

Yes, I remember that place well.

I miss the old rag & tag!

Before that, there was a cavernous structure in the old rag & tag, like a big old barn with a dirt floor, where animals were held in cages stacked one on top of another. We bought tortoises there. They sold a wide range of animals, but not sure about monkeys.

Beside that there was a big pet shop,Was it Ogleys or Maces?That may have sold monkeys.

I remember in the 1950s going there i used to have a Saturday job for a fruit and veg shop.I use to go there with the owner on his horse and cart i looked after the horse while he went and ordered the fruit and veg.

I rememberthe old fruit & veg market well.

Mom used to take me to help carry the bags for her, although I spent most of the time with old man Patnick going through his books.

I was told whilst they were pulling the old market down a huge rat ran out of the place and it was found to be 103 years old.

When I asked how they knew it was 103 years old they said because it had a date stuck to it's back. Boom! Boom!

Happy Days! PopT

The pet shop was maces, and was under the old Norfolk market. In the rag 'n tag, I recall a man guessing your weight for a penny, put you on the big scales and kept the money if he was close to the weight he had guessed at.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:52 ----------

Going across to the fish and meat market, I recall a leg of lamb being ordered in about 1910 but never collected. It was hung until maybe the late 60's waiting for it to be collected. Anyone else remember?

The pet shop was maces, and was under the old Norfolk market. In the rag 'n tag, I recall a man guessing your weight for a penny, put you on the big scales and kept the money if he was close to the weight he had guessed at.

There was a big pet shop on the road,continuation of Dixon Lane, as you went into the rag and tag.

That could have been the arch under the commercial street?,

hi i was born in 51 and i remember going down the market with my dad he loved to see if he could pick up a bargain or two he would go to an hardware shop at the bottom end of the market where he would but large pieces of leather and when he got home start mending shoes,putting new soles and heals on the familys shoe's i digress so i also remember the monkey's a few of our neighbours had bought a small monkey but the noise they made was horendous and they didn't last long before they disappeared, back to the rag market ad those bloody parrots squawkig its head off the only thing that quiet was the reptiles, like the snakes as frogs,as you went in the front entrence there was a stall that sold oly banana's there were thousand of them the thing behing that stall was the man selling crockery in wicker baskets every now and again he would pick the whole set and throw it i the air and catch it in his big hands without breaking a think very clever man pity it's all gone now never to been seen again these's guys were showmen of the markets finally going out was the old lady with the brass weighing machine wonder were it is now someone's hiding a fortune in the attic