What other jobs are there for writers?

I'm an aspiring writer but I was wondering, besides being a novelist, journalist & copyright person what other jobs are out there to do with writing? I've heard about columnists but how does someone enter that work? and is that the same description for people who write sections on websites in general?

Many parts of the writing biz seem like a mystery, but I'm guessing there must be much more work to do with writing then the things I've listed above, e.g. who are the mystery people that work in publishing houses, in-between the author - editor - and agent? I would very much appreciate if someone(s) could reveal these hidden professions and maybe give a quick hint of how to even enter such work.

Many thanks people! :D

Hi Akeem B

You can find out a lot about the ins & outs of the writing game

by buying a Writers & Artists year book.

Better still, borrow one from a library.

There are also magazines for aspiring writers.

They are not cheap but have advice and competitions, if you want to try

out your skills.

The best place to get these are the larger W.H. Smith shops.

Never stop trying, just get those words on paper.

Best of luck. :)

Yeah I'm aware of that book but I never thought it had that sort of information except for the list of publishers, agents e.t.c thanks for letting me know though.

Yep Im on top of all those mags, and I've submitted to several of them including a few competitions. I've been published in some as a result as well.

Many thanks for the extra info though and I will definitely give the yearbook a thorough look.

'Never stop trying, just get those words on paper' believe me I know!

Hiya Akeem. Have you ever thought about technical writing for a manufacturer? I've done it for ITT and I can tell you it pays rather well. I had to study their product for a while at my own expense, then I wrote a sample description of it. They accepted my work and we drew up a contract. Just an idea.

By the way, have you read either of my two stories yet? Dan

I haven't thought of that, but I'll definitely look into it. Definitely. Oh sorry I completely forgot! Been very busy for a while but I'll try and take a look at them this weekend. Will definitely get back to you on that (I'm surprised no one has yet to be fair, with so many members and all, this forum could do with a little re-evaluation in my opinion) Sorry for my late reply by the way.

@Woolyhead. Is technical writing for a manufacturer similar to writing copy by any chance?