Life & Death of Amusement Arcades

BEDROCK

A superb little documentary here, well the only things available in the UK now are cash guzzling seaside rinks that are no longer arcades but small gambling shops for kids, all slot machines and very little in the way of cool arcade games, I remember my first real enjoyment was way back when Paperboy was in the arcades at Skegness, then it went on to WWF WrestleFest which I adored and then it stepped up a gear when Sega ruled the world with stuff like Sega Rally and Virtua Soccer, it was also the time that Street Fighter 2 came out but I was always a Mortal Kombat fan myself and lost myself in that game trying to figure out all the moves and fatalities, then Killer Instinct came out with its eye popping visuals and complex mechanics, spent hours trying to do the highest combos and still wish they would make a 3 of this. I regularly started going week in week out to the Cybercentre Amusement Arcade at Crystal Peaks when the UCI Cinema was there, oh happy times, nowadays kids have lost out big time to those special experiences...

Edited by BEDROCK

I remember playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paperboy. Street Fighter 2 and Simpsons in Arcades at Chapel St Lenoards when i was a kid.

I don't think most arcades have Pinball machines anymore either? I loved those as well.

I miss the arcade that they had in Meadowhall for a while as well.

Man, that brought back memories.

20 years ago I actually stood in an Arcade in Cleethorpes and completed the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on about £2 of credit.

Then last year I downloaded the Simpsons arcade game on my Xbox 360, I've already completed it twice (just need twice more for the achievement).

I need to win the lotto or something, get a gaming room or two set up somewhre just for the pure hell of it.
You don't need to win the Lottery, genuine (vintage) arcade cabs are not that expensive.

Around £100-£150 for a standard 'chip shop' Jamma cab in decent, working nick with a game (don't go by eBay £500+ prices, most arcade cabs listed on there are being sold by scalpers).

Prices do go up for rare/desirable cabs, though (e.g. Sega driving cabs), and the current top-end of the market would be a fully-working, minty StarWars cockpit at around £3k.

Edited by L00b

You don't need to win the Lottery, genuine (vintage) arcade cabs are not that expensive.

Around £100-£150 for a standard 'chip shop' Jamma cab in decent, working nick with a game (don't go by eBay £500+ prices, most arcade cabs listed on there are being sold by scalpers).

Prices do go up for rare/desirable cabs, though (e.g. Sega driving cabs), and the current top-end of the market would be a fully-working, minty StarWars cockpit at around £3k.

Interesting, any links to places/people from where I could perhaps purchase one? Thanks.