Sheffield Councils £30M Housing Maintainence Black Hole

SHEFFIELD Council is facing a black hole of almost £30 million in its funds for housing maintenance - meaning repairs and improvements are set to be delayed for tens of thousands of homes.

Does this mean yet more cuts to fund the repairs and maintainence ?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/green-scene/30m-black-hole-for-sheffield-council-1-5318204

SHEFFIELD Council is facing a black hole of almost £30 million in its funds for housing maintenance - meaning repairs and improvements are set to be delayed for tens of thousands of homes.
So where did the millions of pounds of bribe money from the Labour government in 2002 to transfer housing to ALMOs go?

Council tenants have had it good on the backs of council tax paid by private (overcharged) tenants for a very long time.

Not only have they had cheap / subsidized rent on decent sized properties which in most cases is for life even if they become multi-millionaires... but they get new kitchens, bathrooms and other very expensive maintenance private owners and tenants can only dream of.

Its time the gravy train ended, if the money isnt there then it isnt there. Like it or lump it, come join us on the private housing market, try asking your landlord to get rid of a bit of damp never mind fit a new poxy kitchen, see how far you get.

Council tenants have had it good on the backs of council tax paid by private (overcharged) tenants for a very long time.

Not only have they had cheap / subsidized rent on decent sized properties which in most cases is for life even if they become multi-millionaires... but they get new kitchens, bathrooms and other very expensive maintenance private owners and tenants can only dream of.

Its time the gravy train ended, if the money isnt there then it isnt there. Like it or lump it, come join us on the private housing market, try asking your landlord to get rid of a bit of damp never mind fit a new poxy kitchen, see how far you get.

You should buy your own property rather than expect a landlord to sort your problems.Why not do the mature thing and confront your landlord or threaten to leave?You seem to be blaming council tenants for your weakness and the landlords' negligence.

You should buy your own property rather than expect a landlord to sort your problems.Why not do the mature thing and confront your landlord or threaten to leave?You seem to be blaming council tenants for your weakness and the landlords' negligence.

I own my own home matey. I am just pointing out that council tenants have had it much better than they would have if they were on the free market like the rest of us.

I own my own home matey. I am just pointing out that council tenants have had it much better than they would have if they were on the free market like the rest of us.

In which case why are you not a council tenant,given the benefits you describe?It would be more sensible to rent than buy a house and feel so aggrieved.

No free market in housing. If there was, the rising prices would have led to increased house building.

council tax doesn't go towards council housing repairs or anything to do with council houses they are paid for out of the Housing Revenue Account which is where the rent money goes to.