Ipad/iphone to tv usb input

hotdogbird

Does anyone know how to connect your ipad or iphone to your tv to watch youtube or iplayer etc? My tv is a sony bravia, i have a usb input on the tv as well as all the other inputs. I just cant seem to get it to connect? Is there a setting i need to activate on the ipad or something, or do i need special leads?

Does anyone know how to connect your ipad or iphone to your tv to watch youtube or iplayer etc? My tv is a sony bravia, i have a usb input on the tv as well as all the other inputs. I just cant seem to get it to connect? Is there a setting i need to activate on the ipad or something, or do i need special leads?

I use one of these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable?fnode=3a

Only used my Apple TV once, not really much point to it unless I'm missing something.

You can use it to display (called mirroring) nearly everything that appears on your iPhone, iPod and iPad screen onto your tv screen. You can watch YouTube directly with it. Watch movies on it. Access your stored iTunes music & video library on your PC via home sharing. Also access your iTunes music & videos direct from the Internet via iCloud.

I would say that the Apple TV is the 3rd best gadget I own after my iPhone and iPad.

With the HDMI adapter (you can get the elsewhere, cheaper than from Apple), be sure you know what device you're connecting it to. Does it have the old 30 pin dock connection or new lightning connection. Also, newer devices will allow you to mirror all apps through HDMI to your TV, but old devices (iPad1, iPhone 4 or below, iPod touch 4 or below) will only mirror a few apps (mostly video apps) and for the update frequency won't be as fast with older devices as with newer ones.

Apple TV will also be somewhat slow in update frequency. Probably okay for films. You'll really notice for games running at 60fps though.