Olivers in Sheffield

Hi, I'm new to the forum but spotted some threads regarding Olivers Mount in Darnall. As one of your contributers commented, the houses at Olivers Mount were built on land owned by Ernest and Herbert Oliver who owned High Hazels Farm and lived at Bramley Hall. The brothers along with another brother Edward, my grandfather, ran butchers shops in Attercliffe and Darnall. Later (1940 - 1970) Edwards sons ran shops in Attercliffe, on Attercliffe Common and at the bottom of Staniforth Rd. Edward lived on Freestone Place Attercliffe and brought up a large family (14) there.

was that olivers the butchers

edward oliver married my grandmothers father sister elizabeth paramore

Well there you go. I'm not sure I can work it out as far as your own generation is concerned but Elizabeth Oliver (Paramore/Barratt) was my grandmother. As far as we know she was full sister to Harry Barratt and half sister to Clara, Annie, Rose, Fanny and Joseph Barratt and she was I believe half sister to Mary Ann, George, William and John Paramore. Now that is not entirely certain as there is some confusion over birth and death dates for her and her "father" Henry Paramore. If you have more information I would be keen to hear it.

Elizabeth paramore her mother mary ann sellers/paramore/barratt,was married 4 times she married 3 paramore brothers and then joseph barratt,we had elizabeth paramore as being henry paramores daughter,not joseph barratts,and also looking to when elizabeth was born 1881,we have henry as being dead in 1879,so confused myself now,

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:22 ----------

sus about Mary A. Paramore

Name: Mary A. Paramore

[Mary A. Sellars]

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843

Relation: Daughter

Mother's Name: Emma Sellars

Civil parish: Sheffield

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address: 4-7 CT Radford St

Condition as to marriage: Married

Education:

Employment status:

Subscribe now to see this information.

Registration district: Sheffield

Sub-registration district: North Sheffield

ED, institution, or vessel: 33

Neighbors: View others on page

Piece: 4648

Folio: 159

Page Number: 60

Household Members:

Name Age

Emma Sellars 61

Mary A. Paramore 38

Geo. Paramore 10

William Paramore 8

John Paramore 5

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:26 ----------

on this 1881 census mary ann paramore/sellers is at her mothers and stated as married so dont know were henry is,

she married joseph barratt in 1882, so on his 1881 census he is widowed living with his children and sister

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:27 ----------

Name: Joseph Barratt

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839

Relation: Brother in Law

Where born: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Nether Hallam

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address: 14 Cleveland Pl

Condition as to marriage: Widow

Education:

Employment status:

Subscribe now to see this information.

Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow

Sub-registration district: Nether Hallam

ED, institution, or vessel: 8

Neighbors: View others on page

Piece: 4622

Folio: 106

Page Number: 35

Household Members:

Name Age

William Barker 30

Annie Barker 34

Joseph Barratt 42

Joseph W. Barratt 16

Rose Barratt 9

Annie E. Barratt 6

Clara Barratt

Edited by speleo1

I am Anthony the grandson of Harry Oliver, the original owner of the Oliver's Butchers chain of shops and meat business. I have recently retired and decided to see if anyone may remember me as I moved away from Handsworth when I was eleven. I attended the school of St Joseph's and then moved to Cornwall where I went to the same school as John Nettles the 'Midsomer Murders' actor - though sadly I didn't meet him. I like to dig around on the internet a little to seek out old Olivers information. My father was one of three sons, Leslie, Edwin and Bernard. Only Edwin and Bernard became butchers, my father Leslie was an architect. At the time of writing this, February 2013, Bernard my uncle is still around and lives near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. I would love to hear from anyone who knew more about the Olivers and their extensive family.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but spotted some threads regarding Olivers Mount in Darnall. As one of your contributers commented, the houses at Olivers Mount were built on land owned by Ernest and Herbert Oliver who owned High Hazels Farm and lived at Bramley Hall. The brothers along with another brother Edward, my grandfather, ran butchers shops in Attercliffe and Darnall. Later (1940 - 1970) Edwards sons ran shops in Attercliffe, on Attercliffe Common and at the bottom of Staniforth Rd. Edward lived on Freestone Place Attercliffe and brought up a large family (14) there.

I shopped many times in Ted Olivers Butchers Shop in Attercliffe as my mum wouldn't shop anywhere else.

Remember Olivers butchers well, there was a female butcher who worked in the shop in Attercliffe allways jolly

I'm the daughter of john Oliver he use to work in his uncles butchers as a lad..

I'm the daughter of john Oliver he use to work in his uncles butchers as a lad..

his is nick name bud