King edwards VII school.

I remember seeing John Allen on Look North in the mid 70s promoting some orienteering event. That guy was so tall!

He did a lot of work in organising Fell Walking weekends. Usually at half term in either the Lake District, Snowdonia or the Yorkshire Dales. As you rightly say, Piggy Anderson was the other master in charge.

Can remember lots of us would have knives and play splits when we stopped for a break. Just imagine that now!

I remember seeing John Allen on Look North in the mid 70s promoting some orienteering event. That guy was so tall!

He did a lot of work in organising Fell Walking weekends. Usually at half term in either the Lake District, Snowdonia or the Yorkshire Dales. As you rightly say, Piggy Anderson was the other master in charge.

Can remember lots of us would have knives and play splits when we stopped for a break. Just imagine that now!

Eyup Morts

You don't by any chance remember a guy called Ian Rose at KES do you? I think he may have been in your year. I encountered him at York Uni and would like to get in touch.

Splits - Jesus! - no way now. My good lady worries about the Bill catching me carrying a pruning knife from home to me allotment.

Although I passed my 11 + at Meersbrook Bank School and was destined to go to King Teds my father ruled against it. It was something I've regretted ever since. I was good at the three Rs and when I was called up for national service in 1947 I started studying maths and radio engineering in Gibraltar of all places. I envy all you on this thread who went to KES, nice to read of your exploits.

Hi Da link went - Sorry you didn't make it to King Edward's. I only got in by the skin of my teeth - and there might be a certain irony here. The first letter said City Grammar, and then we were told that "another place was available". Maybe it was a place that had been rejected on a similar basis to yours.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi PaulSH

I was in the same 59 intake as you and hillsbro. I think, like others, I hated most of my time there though I realise now how much I must have learnt

I'm amazed that I can remember bits of Latin and Literature, German And French that I was struggling to comprehend at the time.

They also taught you discipline and respect even if they had to beat it into you.

I think those of us who were privileged to have been given the chance are invariably proud of being an old Edwardian from that period

Ayup PaulSH,

Sorry, can't recall anyone called Ian Rose.

I went to KES in 1964, don't think he was in the same year

Was at KES between 1981 and 1985. Recall our class having its picture taken in 1981 and again a year later but certainly don't recall lining up for a class photograph for the last three years which, had you seen me, is a blessing!

Ayup PaulSH, Sorry, can't recall anyone called Ian Rose. I went to KES in 1964, don't think he was in the same year
An Ian W. Rose was born in Sheffield in July-Sept. 1952, and there was an I.W. Rose in the 1963 intake. In this photo he is third from the left in the second row back.

An Ian W. Rose was born in Sheffield in July-Sept. 1952, and there was an I.W. Rose in the 1963 intake. In this photo he is third from the left in the second row back.

Dear a me hillsbro, not many happy faces on the 1963 intake photo!

My cousin Paul joined KES in '57 and can be seen on that image with a beaming smile on his face. They appeared a lot happier then. I wonder what happened in the intervening years? Maybe the photographer said "smile" in '57 and "frown" in '63?

echo.

Hi echo - it might have depended on who took the photo. Maybe the 1957 intake didn't have to cope with "Poison Dwarf" (see Post #21) who took all the photos when I was there....:(

The gloomy faces might be something to do with the one in the photo wearing the gown. I'm there on the back row - 50 years ago this month! I did hear later that JET was good with the sixth forms but I went down the science road so didn’t find that out for myself. Of some of the other teachers mentioned here, Scobie was my next form master and all my best memories begin with him. Red Fred did have reddish ginger hair, and would turn a deeper red as he became speechless in front of the class as all control slipped away - even to a 13 year old it was clear that here was a guy in the wrong job. I remember J C Allen as Clive - a man so tall he had to open the quarter light on his Ford Anglia (?) to have room for his knee . Of all those who taught me I would most like to know what he went on to do.

Seems we all agree that Willie Scobie was one of the best. For more on him see Hillsboro's post no 22 above.

Do any of you remember the alarm clock in assembly incident?

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 01:42 ----------

Hi PaulSH

I was in the same 59 intake as you and hillsbro. I think, like others, I hated most of my time there though I realise now how much I must have learnt

I'm amazed that I can remember bits of Latin and Literature, German And French that I was struggling to comprehend at the time.

They also taught you discipline and respect even if they had to beat it into you.

I think those of us who were privileged to have been given the chance are invariably proud of being an old Edwardian from that period

Hi Dreb48

I hated some of it, found ways of surviving it then, after 4 or 5 years actually started to enjoy learning stuff. That was because of teachers who treated us, if not like adults, then at least like intelligent beings who wanted to learn.

Also being specky, jug ears, rubbish at kicking balls I was not one of the gilded youth who went on to be prefects or captains of this & that. Some of them were as bad as some of the teachers.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

Edited by PaulSH
addition