King edwards VII school.

... and there am I - 1959 input, class 4GL, front row, fourth from right - complete with hair..:(

Mr.H. How do I get to the photo with you on ? Can't find it.

...I read the article on Clarence with interest, which led me to his piece on Twif (my maths teacher when I was in 1(3)) complete with a photo of the great man, exactly as I remember him...
Oh - the redoutable Hector Thomas Robert Twyford - now there was a real character! He lived at Ecclesall and would take the No 50 bus to school, always on the upper deck with pipe ablaze. He taught first and second-form pupils, having previously been head of the Junior School. At his last "Speech Day" in 1965, Arthur Jackson said (to quote the school magazine) that "there will be a vast empty space when he leaves" :P.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 15:16 ----------

Mr.H. How do I get to the photo with you on ? Can't find it.
Here is a link: http://oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/photos/62.4GL.html

Musing on these memories, I have remembered one of Twif's bons mots, to a boy in 2 (1): "I've noticed a general improvement in your smartness and grooming recently, usually the start of a deterioration in character". I assume he meant that once a boy stopped looking like Molesworth 1 and taking care with his appearance, it meant that he was taking notice of the fairer sex and thus would not concentrate all his thoughts and energies on maths!

Yes - sounds like a fair appraisal! Twiff taught me French in 1(4) and 2(4) and was our form master in 2(4). I wouldn't want to cast aspertions on his teaching techniques but my French marks improved dramatically with Joe Oppenheimer in the third year!

Oh - the redoutable Hector Thomas Robert Twyford - now there was a real character! He lived at Ecclesall and would take the No 50 bus to school, always on the upper deck with pipe ablaze. He taught first and second-form pupils, having previously been head of the Junior School. At his last "Speech Day" in 1965, Arthur Jackson said (to quote the school magazine) that "there will be a vast empty space when he leaves" :P.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 15:16 ----------

Here is a link: http://oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/photos/62.4GL.html

Thank you Mr.H. The photo proved to be more interesting, as the pupil in the back row- John Wooley- was a somewhat 'music mate' of mine during my 'Mojo Club' years. He lived at the time in Regent's Court on Bradfield Road and I understand, later became a pub landlord somewhere in Sheffield. Great lad too ! Thanks again.

Hmmm...prior to joining King Ted's I had always been top in maths at my junior school (Gleadless). Imagine my, and my parents', shock when at the end of my first term at KES I was placed 20th. I realise that the competition was far fiercer, but I do recall Twif introducing a new topic, saying in his weighted tones "Now these are very easy" and leaving us to get on with the exercise. No one dared pipe (?) up and say "But they aren't easy for me, Sir". To be kind to him, perhaps it was because I was always good at arithmetic but struggled to come to terms with other branches of maths, no matter which teacher I had.

...the pupil in the back row- John Wooley- was a somewhat 'music mate' of mine during my 'Mojo Club' years...
I actually knew John Woolley in pre-K.E.S. days as he was in the 238th Sheffield cub pack with me. I remember he lived in Regent Court but haven't heard anything of him since leaving school. Great lad indeed!

...hillsbro are you attending the OE dinner this year?
Unfortunately not - though I really ought to make the effort to attend one as the last time was in 1985! I haven't seen Brian Lockett for quite a while but often used to see him at stamp auctions; as far as I know he still lives at Sandygate.

Unfortunately not - though I really ought to make the effort to attend one as the last time was in 1985! I haven't seen Brian Lockett for quite a while but often used to see him at stamp auctions; as far as I know he still lives at Sandygate.

I heard after he retired he'd trained to be a stenographer at the court house, but that's probably 25+ years ago. Top bloke who endured our small, dullard class with good humour :)

King Edward VII school Glossop Road ‘64-‘65

Any memories?

Does anyone remember the King Edward V11 prize-giving flour incident in 1974 (I think). Where, the black-gowned teachers were covered in flour that dropped from the ceiling midway through the end-of year prize-giving. It was a sight to behold and they kept us behind, until the culprit(s) came forward and admitted to having done it. I don't think that anyone did come forward, but eventually the kids were let home.:D