Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Agree with what your saying about shops late at night but there are people who take pride in their homes and gardens.Not everyone lets there kids out at night and a lot of the youths are good kids its the minority that give the rest a bad name.I didnt say it was perfect we know its gone down hill but so have a lot of places in sheffield.

Hi Dee40.

I note what you see and agree that it's not a reflection of the whole estate but do think it is more than a minority element.

It's gone downhill rapidly during the 15 years that I have lived there.

Hi can you take a look in "Genral chat" in the "i'm bored bit" and then on the "being bored is my life! need a friend". thank you x:loopy:
There you go now your bombarded with new friends:thumbsup:

im from shiregreen and i find that the lower shiregreen seems to be worse than the upper shiregreen

I lived on the green from 1985 to 2002, moved to chapeltown 2002 and have to say it was the best thing i ever did, couldn't wait to move off shiregreen, but perhaps being next door to hartley brook shops didnt help, i still have friends that live on there tho so its not all bad :)

Don't worry about Shiregreen going downhill..it's been like that for the last 100 years...Shiregreen once had a thriving farming history but that came to an end..Then there was the cutlery trade, there were many "knife and fork" manufactures in the area and they all disapeared..When I was born in 1939 Shiregreen went through all sorts of changes with the start of "world war 2",

parks and gardens and any spare land was dug up to produce veg'ies and "Airaid shelters" were built all over the place, along with "static water tanks" and gun and searchlight emplacements.the place looked a mess..Many houses and walls were dawb'd with signs depicting where a "ladder" or "Sterrup pump" or "First aid" could be found..and all the iron railings in the area were cut down for scrap...But after the war ( I know uncle Albert again)

Shiregreen started to get back on it's feet again, some buildings were pulled down and new ones erected..Concord park became one of the best sporting places in the North of England, with about 20 football pitches.. 6 or so Cricket

pitches..1 Rugby pitch..A load of Tennis Courts and 2 Top class bowling greens..A Putting green, and a giant "Draught board"..Plus a 9 hole golf course.

I grew up in this area and I loved it, and I still do..The best thing is the Community, Everybody knows everybody, From Hartly brook to Firth Park, From Longley park to Wincobank...If you want to know about this unique area of Sheffield Just read the books and view the photo's by "Bryan Woodriff" entitled (Shire Green, Wincobank & Ecclesfield, Memories) ..Shiregreen will get better again, just wait and see.

Its not that bad.Its no worse than any others.:)

I just remember it as a nice clean estate probably one of the best in Sheffield. I just get very sad when I see the deterioration of the verges and some of the properties.

Hi Timbuck where abouts on Shiregreen did you live? I was born in January 1941 on Kepple Road.

Hi Timbuck where abouts on Shiregreen did you live? I was born in January 1941 on Kepple Road.
#269 Shiregreen lane..I had a few schoolmates who lived at your side of the park, on Mason Lathe & Oaksfold and Concord rd..They were Mick and Bryan Mills..Ron and Ray Eagle..Terry Ashton..and The Whitam family..Know any of them??

Whats happened to all the pubs up there?

:| :| Bloke i know derrick darby lives on shiregreen, hesgot a couple of pubs, anyone no him?

#269 Shiregreen lane..I had a few schoolmates who lived at your side of the park, on Mason Lathe & Oaksfold and Concord rd..They were Mick and Bryan Mills..Ron and Ray Eagle..Terry Ashton..and The Whitam family..Know any of them??

Mick and Bryan mills spring to my memory as do ray and Ron Eagle. The Whitham family lived at the top of Kepple Road at the junction with Concord Road. I cannot recall Terry Ashton though. I do not think you and I would have met,you living on Shregreen Lane and me at the lower end of Shiregreen.

Agree with what your saying about shops late at night but there are people who take pride in their homes and gardens.Not everyone lets there kids out at night and a lot of the youths are good kids its the minority that give the rest a bad name.I didnt say it was perfect we know its gone down hill but so have a lot of places in sheffield.

Over the past week there has been the severe beating up of a youth, the bottling of the local postmaster and a gun related incident. All of which occured in the vicinty of the afore mentions shops.

It has become the pits!!