Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Hello Raker,

I lived in Nether Shire Lane but my Aunt & Uncle lived in Woolley Wood Rd, their surname was Joyce, their daughters names were Rita and Hazel. I too am probably older than many on here.

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 08:25 ----------

I remember those houses I think our chimney sweep lived in one of them. Furtheralong the road towards the lane top was a cobblers. I went to music lessons on Homestead Rd. to a miss Dyson I think her married name was Mrs Savage. After the Whit walk in firth park we went to a field by the Capitol later called the Essoldo. Yes we did all the things you say it was a good time to be young, our house backed onto the fields on Barnsley Rd looking over to Ecclesfield. I spent many hours in those fields jumping the brook sledging down the hill.

I lived on Hatfield house Rd in the 40's, there was a chimney sweep called Webb but he lived opposite the cricket ground. We celebrated VE day in front of those old cottages.

Hello Janner,

I have just been reading some old posts and wonder if you remember my bother, Jack Marsden, he was twelve in 1939 and attended classes in peoples houses, it is a longshot I know but strange things do happen. We both went to Hartley Brook school but he was twelve years older than me so obviously I went much later. I notice you live in Plymouth I lived there for some three years from 1961, then we moved to Portsmouth, I am sure that will tell you something........yes my husband was in the Navy. He joined as a boy in 1953, we married in 1960 and he left in 1969. We were staying in Shaviok last year on holiday and visited Plymouth for the day, like all cities it has changed not for the better in the town centre but it is still in a beautiful area.

Hello Janner,

I have just been reading some old posts and wonder if you remember my bother, Jack Marsden, he was twelve in 1939 and attended classes in peoples houses, it is a longshot I know but strange things do happen. We both went to Hartley Brook school but he was twelve years older than me so obviously I went much later. I notice you live in Plymouth I lived there for some three years from 1961, then we moved to Portsmouth, I am sure that will tell you something........yes my husband was in the Navy. He joined as a boy in 1953, we married in 1960 and he left in 1969. We were staying in Shaviok last year on holiday and visited Plymouth for the day, like all cities it has changed not for the better in the town centre but it is still in a beautiful area.

I wish I could say I knew your brother but it's such a long time ago & memories fade.

Do you remember that everyone that was too late to go into assembly had to walk round the hall to the music with heads bowed ?, I think it was the Dead March. Other than that I had great respect for Mr. Dobson, he was very kind to me when my father died.

hi Cynthia I was in your class one of them anyway miss fincham (fanny) I met you again some years later in an office up town tha were a bonny lass Im 82 now still enjoying life

i was born in 1942 i lived on honeysuckle then daffodil i went to shire green infants then juniors then seniors i can remember miss somerset and miss fincham in the last year of school they were good days

When I was about 3 in 1961, we moved from Neepsend due to slum clearance onto Hatfield House Lane. My mum was wide eyed with wonder, she said to my dad "ooh it's like living in the country" and to us it was. There were trees and grass and most importantly an indoor toilet and bathroom.

Where you mention the cobblers on Hatfield House lane, alongside that where they built the new houses a few years ago was a farm and it was still a working farm when we first moved there I think. Those houses behind the Sicey Pub were known as the cottages and it was reputed that Mary Queen of Scot's was hidden there when she was on the run from Sheffield Castle, so I don't know how permission was granted to pull them down.

I went to Shiregreen School starting about 63/64 and our year was the first year that moved to Hinde House Comprehensive rather than to Shiregreen Senior School which later became Concord Junior School.

Just curious about Timbuck. After reading your comments, I gather you lived on Shiregreen Lane opposite swings. I went to Shiregreen School and one of my pals was Eric Timms. Haven't seen him since schooldays, but I knew his father Alan Timms. Used to spend many a happy hour in Bellhouse WMC playing snooker and chatting about gardening - must be 20 odd years ago. Alan lived on Shiregreen Lane, so I think must be related. By the way, Alan was an absolute gent. Would be grateful for any info.

When I was about 3 in 1961, we moved from Neepsend due to slum clearance onto Hatfield House Lane. My mum was wide eyed with wonder, she said to my dad "ooh it's like living in the country" and to us it was. There were trees and grass and most importantly an indoor toilet and bathroom.

Where you mention the cobblers on Hatfield House lane, alongside that where they built the new houses a few years ago was a farm and it was still a working farm when we first moved there I think. Those houses behind the Sicey Pub were known as the cottages and it was reputed that Mary Queen of Scot's was hidden there when she was on the run from Sheffield Castle, so I don't know how permission was granted to pull them down.

I went to Shiregreen School starting about 63/64 and our year was the first year that moved to Hinde House Comprehensive rather than to Shiregreen Senior School which later became Concord Junior School.

I lived on Hatfield House Lane, at 108, from 1941 to 48. It was a great place to live , the junior school just across the road, a good cricket ground. During the war we had an incendiary bomb in the back privet hedge.

I lived on Hatfield house Rd in the 40's, there was a chimney sweep called Webb but he lived opposite the cricket ground. We celebrated VE day in front of those old cottages.

he gave me his old bike big sit up and beg I was a lad on coop milk used to deliver milk on there a long time ago

My husband lived for a time in Bellhouse Road, his mum ran the fruit and veg shop. He had to go on the tram to central tech in Sheffield. His Uncle Walter worked in Concord Park.

I was born on Butterthwate Road 1952 and went to Beck road school. my grandad used to take me to Wooly Wood picking bluebells and we walked over Basket Bridge. I used to watch the Star Walk every Whitsun in Ecclesfield. There was a family called Kerrigan who lived at the bottom end of Hartley Brook Road - Catherine was my friend. I also had friends called Denise Oats and Rita Hudson. When it was a sunny day it was quite safe to play on the field. I left Sheffield when I was about 20 but my family continued to live there Jean and Lewis Gregory and my siblings Sharon Ian and Janine. It would be lovely if anyone knew of the whereabouts of the above friends though as I havnt seen them in years. I also worked in a little grocers shop on Papermill Road called Lintons. Such fond memories of it all ....

Would that be Brian Kerrigan?

My husband lived for a time in Bellhouse Road, his mum ran the fruit and veg shop. He had to go on the tram to central tech in Sheffield. His Uncle Walter worked in Concord Park.

His name is Rodney (Kiwi) Kaye, Uncle was Walter Wilde. Rodney lived in Bellhouse Road around 1954. Played Football and was in the Boy's Brigade. Some of his friends who lived in Shiregreen were =Ian Taylor (went to New Zealand), Charlie Marshall, Mel Cotterill, Neil Gregory and Mick Marshall