Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Just joined this forum cant beleive have not seen it before, I was born on shiregreen 1951 sheffield lane top homestead rd left in mid 80s,can anyone remember the old houses that used to be at the side of the cricket ground on hatfield house lane near the sicey pub. they knocked them down and built a bank there,also credlands garage at lane top opposite pheasant,happy days in concorde park and wooly woods. firth park sliding down the donkey hill on cardboard boxes,whitsuntide marches to firth park then back to gardens at back of horseshoe for orangeade and nibbits good times.

Hi there, I use to go to School with one of your sisters Margaret. Hope she is ok.

HI tara, margaret is fine saw her last just before new year at one of my other sisters house.

I lived on the top half of Oaks Fold Rd just above Woolley Wood school from late 50s to 1966 when we moved down south. I remember we were one of the first on the street to have a telephone (my dad was a self employed taxi driver )

and a lot of our neighbours used to come to our house to use the phone !

I went to Woolley Wood school and can remember a few names.

Mark Horne (he moved to Scunthorpe in 1966) Alan Couldwell, Jennifer Raynor, Patricia Shipley, Wendy Brown & her sister, Alison Harrop, Eddie Cooper and Ernie Reville. Must be loads more who I just can't recall at present.

If you're out there please say hello. :)

Hi, I was told about this thread. I'm Eddie Coopers daughter. I passed on the message and he wanted to know if it was Susan France?

You should add him on Facebook :-) hope this helps. He sends his hello's too.

Hi, I was told about this thread. I'm Eddie Coopers daughter. I passed on the message and he wanted to know if it was Susan France?

i was mates with Eddie and gary and Kay

i was mates with Eddie and gary and Kay

Thanks for the reply. You should get in touch with him. :-)

Hello Nik84,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I've only just come back to this thread, silly me.Too busy rabbiting elsewhere ! Yes tell your dad he's right, my name was Susan France and I lived next door but one to him. We moved down south in 1966. Please give him my regards. I'm not on facebook. :)

I was born on Butterthwate Road 1952 and went to Beck road school. my grandad used to take me to Wooly Wood picking bluebells and we walked over Basket Bridge. I used to watch the Star Walk every Whitsun in Ecclesfield. There was a family called Kerrigan who lived at the bottom end of Hartley Brook Road - Catherine was my friend. I also had friends called Denise Oats and Rita Hudson. When it was a sunny day it was quite safe to play on the field. I left Sheffield when I was about 20 but my family continued to live there Jean and Lewis Gregory and my siblings Sharon Ian and Janine. It would be lovely if anyone knew of the whereabouts of the above friends though as I havnt seen them in years. I also worked in a little grocers shop on Papermill Road called Lintons. Such fond memories of it all ....

Edited by xxsuzieq

Hi Suzi Q and welcome. My mothers twin brother George Gill lived on Butterthwaite - his wife was called Helen with their daughter, my cousin, Sheila who is a bit older than you. I was born in 1951 but went to Ecclesfield School

Hi Denlin thanks for getting in touch. I was born at 137 Butterthwaite Rd which was round the corner from Hartley Brook Road where the terminus bus stop. It was my grandma's house they were called Lawson. A few years later my mum moved over the road where the red phone box was. I dont recollect your families name, where abouts did they live on there.

I remember Kay Williams, she was the PT Mistress when we won the Sheffield Shield for Netball, it was an all Sheffield Schools competition.

My teacher was Miss Fincham, she disliked me and the feeling was mutual.

Long, long time ago.

I think that it was miss Finchham who played the piano and Mr. Bennet

- a very short stocky guy- would sing "The Fishermen Of England". He

had a great baritone voice. This was during the war years.

Mr. Dobson dished out the punishment, weekly, in the assembly hall.

Do you remember that everyone that was too late to go into assembly had to walk round the hall to the music with heads bowed ?, I think it was the Dead March. Other than that I had great respect for Mr. Dobson, he was very kind to me when my father died.

I think that it was miss Finchham who played the piano and Mr. Bennet

- a very short stocky guy- would sing "The Fishermen Of England". He

had a great baritone voice. This was during the war years.

Mr. Dobson dished out the punishment, weekly, in the assembly hall.

you would remember mr chapman then i left summer 1944