Did You Live In Shiregreen?

I lived on Homestead Road from 1942 until 1965. It was a lovely road with well cared for houses and gardens especially the garden on what we called 'The Oval' which was looked after by Council workmen!!

Did you know Lillian Medley? she lived there from 50's to early 70's til she died......she lived on Spicy avenue I think the road is called?

Did you know Lillian Medley? she lived there from 50's to early 70's til she died......she lived on Spicy avenue I think the road is called?

cant help you steph but the road is called sicey avenue

Hi do you live in shiregreen?................

I lived in shirgren 30 years ago my daughter lives there now and she says it's not too bad but when i go visit I can see the changes

Norrie, my parents moved into a house in Shirehall Rd. (246?) early in 1933, I was born in Nov.32, so I was a small baby. I believe we were the first occupiers in the new built house. I started school in 36/37 at the Infant school in Gregg House Rd. When I was in Sheffield a few years ago, I took photos of that school & the Junior School on Hatfield House Lane, which I attended when we moved house to Hatffield House Lane (108?). I attach the photos taken. You can see that the infant school I went to has it's front gate secured & the entrance door behind the gate has been bricked up. When I saw the school on Hatfield House Lane, it looked different, then I realised the trees had grown big. Lovely schools , happy childhood in spite of the War. I cannot work out how to send the photo attachments, will try later.

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 16:34 ----------

I am sorry, for the life of me I cannot find out how to send an attachment with my posting. Can anyone help?

I was born at 48 Wheatfield Cres. in 1939 and went to the school in 1944/5 at Gregg House Rd, but we called it Hartley Brook school. The head mistress was Miss Atkinson. Wheatfield Cres is just along Ronksley rd from Shirehall rd. Later we moved further down the estate to Nether Shire lane, I thought I had gone to heaven, our garden backed onto the fields with the brook at the bottom, we played for hours and hours down those fields. Later we went to Ecclesfield Park where there was a paddling pool, and even later when we were a little older we went to the fair that used to come near to the station if I remember correctly. As you say.....happy days.

l see you live in Plymouth, my husband and I lived there years ago, thanks to the RN.

leftin60, snap! I joined the RN in 1949, that's why I am now a Janner. The valley you mentioned, did we call it the cluff (clough) or something like that. Shiregreen , in those days was a good place to live. Hulley's ice cream was just a walk away, the bluebell woods & as I recollect a pond teeming with frogs & newts.

My grandparents lived in Ronksley Road from the time that the houses were built until when the died in the early 1980s. I regularly used to visit and stay as a young boy in the 1960s and 1970s. Everyone knew each other , they were friendly and the gardens were immaculate. My grandparents lived at no 51 and my grandfathers roses in the front were his pride and joy. as a young lad i wanted to live in a house like that when i grew up. How things have changed, the area and Firth park is unrecognizable and my grandads rose garden is now a concrete pad to park more cars

I lived on Homestead Road from 1963 - 1980. Went to Hartley Brook School then Firth Park Comprehensive.

Remember you and Trevor.

Edited by tara

I also lived on Shiregreen on Lowhouse Rd just below Nethershire shops off Bellhouse Rd .I remember in the 50s and 60s the gardens were all beautifully kept and people had pride in their homes .Went back to have a look last month and the up keep and general maintenance and pride has all gone.Old mattress and old bikes litter the over grown gardens windows broken litter every where .It was so beautiful years ago it is like a tip now,how very sad.

hi did anyone know Lillian and Albert Medley? they lived on Sicey Avenue in Sheffield in the 50's-70's???? they were my grandparents, and I cant seem to find anything on them would be nice to know if someone knew them.

Hello, does anyone know Mick Oxley who lived on Hartley brook road? The reason I’m trying to find his is because he’s an old friend of my husband Bert who is now 81 now, he’s been talking about him a lot lately and the number we had for him no longer works. :help::confused: