Did You Live In Shiregreen?

The people I did hang around with early on were Brian (Cherry)Williams, Doug & Michael Thompson and later Sue & Janet Ellis, Roger Storie, Alan Chittenden, Faye Longmore, Ian White,Bob Wood and Vicky Hall as well as many more I can't readily recall. I knew the vicar Philip Cawood very well but fell out big time with his successor the Rev Scott. /QUOTE]

Of the names above I remember Alan Chittenden (nickname Chitts) although we went to different schools I was in the St Christopher's Boy Scouts with him in the same "patrol". I remember Rev Cawood also. About 1958 to 63ish.

Happy days.:)

My next door neighbours were Janet and Sue Ellis. I am still in touch with Sue she lives in Deal Kent

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:01 ----------

Anyone from the top end in 60s remember The Salkelds, Toolsons, Bettisons,pinders,

Hattersleys,Massy's Wilsons,Bamforths, Marshalls,cotton's,Turners,nicholsons,Youngs,

rogers,Whites,Spencers,Hadfields,Frances,Sarsons,Bynes,Quinns,Quinlan's.

i remember Salkelds Bettisons Hattersleys Masseys Wilsons we were the Floods who lived on Hartley Brook

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:07 ----------

Hi Susan,

Memories come flooding back from this thread .We lived at no 13 beck close untill about 1963 and went to Beck Rd infants untill 1960 then I went Owler Lane Intermediate.

A few names spring to mind Jeff Hudson Geoff Crownshaw Geoff Drury John Winter.

People have written some unkind words about Shiregreen but I have some fond memories.

We moved to High Storrs in 63 but have never forgotten some great times with my old mate Steve Langford.

John Clapham

I knew a Geoff Crownshaw who was a nurse at Lodge Moor Hospital is it the same Geoff you know?

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:24 ----------

Did anyone live on or near the beginning of Hartley Brook Road in the 60s.

The Huntsman end.

I use to visit my nan quite a lot on there and remember Desmond Briggs, his dad was of the same name and his mother was called Edith. There was also a mrs Dearn and a Mr Denham.

Further up lived the Eddisons, Joan nee Bennett and her husband Bill was an MP or councillor or something.

I lived at 26 I am still in touch with des and Edith Briggs. They attended my Dads funeral in June last year.i remember Mrs Dearness too, Neil Websters Grandma. I know the Eddisons they were agents for David Blunkett Mp. Who was your grandma what number did she live at? We were The Floods.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:30 ----------

Hi Joan still lives in the same house but sadly Bill passed away a few years ago:(

My Great Aunty has lived on Hartley Brook Road all her life and is friends with Joan maybe you know her too Jean Ball. I have lived in shiregreen for 38 years attended Hartley Brook School and Firth park.

I knew Jean Ball too didn't realise Bill Eddison had died we lived at no 26 The Floods

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:33 ----------

I lived at no 13 across from Eddisons, went to school with Stephen Eddison and John Ball, John's mother was Jean Baker i believe,
Did you live near the Hobbs and Rodgers families? We were the Floods at no 26

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:36 ----------

Hi,there to Lisaem and Tara,i used to live at 37,Hartley brook rd.,a family named Briggs lived at 39.I knew a Joan Bennett,and i think they were at 23 or 19,had a brother named Sterndale.Mind you i'm going back a few years,as we moved to 308, Bellhouse rd.just before the war ended.Other family names at that end i recall were Gerards,Bennets(different one)Hampshires,Ravenols?,Bakers,Needems,Frosts,Bowsers(peter was my mate), Williamsons,Hudsons,Coolies and Glynis Bratberry?? at the corner of Molineux rd.(my sister was born at number 37.all the best,hope to hear from anyone who knows any of the above.eightlegger.
I knew Roland Hampshire lived at 44 I think

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 22:44 ----------

Just joined this forum cant beleive have not seen it before, I was born on shiregreen 1951 sheffield lane top homestead rd left in mid 80s,can anyone remember the old houses that used to be at the side of the cricket ground on hatfield house lane near the sicey pub. they knocked them down and built a bank there,also credlands garage at lane top opposite pheasant,happy days in concorde park and wooly woods. firth park sliding down the donkey hill on cardboard boxes,whitsuntide marches to firth park then back to gardens at back of horseshoe for orangeade and nibbits good times.
My cousin lived in the brewery houses on Sicey where the old bank was built. My Dad worked at Credlands garage at Lane top when it was an Esso petrol station. Brings back a lot of memories for me

Hi Tara I'm Pamela Salkeld and I remember a lot of the people you have mentioned but I have to apologise as I cannot place you. Where abouts did you live?.

Hi Tara I'm Pamela Salkeld and I remember a lot of the people you have mentioned but I have to apologise as I cannot place you. Where abouts did you live?.

Hi Pam did you have a Carol in your family?She lived down deep Lane and married my best mate Mick,sadly they split up after a number of years.I also was brought up on Shiregreen and lived on Lowhouse Road in the fifties and sixties.

Hi petcharlie Carol and I are related somewhere along the line but very distant. She is on Facebook but I found her through genes reunited.

Pam

Used to live in Primrose Avenue During and after the war, Remember search light stands on Wincobank Hill. As kids we used to go too a canteen on Hadfield Road, its was on a Ex Prisoner war camp for meals in the summer Holidays, as we were poor and no dosh, :):) Not mush has changed money wise.

Hi Pat

I do remember you from about 1957/8 We were friends with Linda Hodgetts, I also remember Ted well from the church. You may recall that I was at Central Technical School and a very keen cyclist. My dad was a pal of mr Hodgetts through the gardening club - but I have no idea where that was.

The name Jean Ball sounds very familiar.

My mum was good friend of Joans at school. Sadly my mum passed away 2 yrs ago so I cant ask her but Im sure Jean Ball was mentioned at some point.

My mum lived next door to Mrs Dearne and Mrs Briggs. My Mums maiden name was Antcliffe.

I also went to Hartley Brook and Firth Park schools.

My sister Vanessa Flood knew the Antcliffes on Hartley Brook Road we lived at 26 The Floods

Yes I remember Neil Webster Marrie and Ted. I still have an old photo of Desmond Briggs Junior an I when we were Babies

Edited by tara
keeps duplicating

I used to live on flower estate in fiftys we used hang around shops then there were six of us . So nothing seems to have changed much .

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 22:45 ----------

UOTE]

I also lived in shire green and left in 1964 lived in Lilac Road

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 22:47 ----------

UOTE]

I also lived in shire green and left in 1964 lived in Lilac Road

I recently went back to Hadfield House Lane, some how it looked different, the penny dropped. The trees had grown a lot since 1947.

Did anyone live on or near Perkyn terrace in 50s.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 23:09 ----------

did anyone know sheila timmins lived on perkyn terrace in 50 s. she would be

about 80 yrs old now.

Hi all!

Wondered if any of you can help me I am looking for my possible biological father the only information I have is that he lived in shiregreen not far from the working men's club and went by the nickname of sooty?! He also worked as a doorman in Sheffield think it was fountain bar?? Around 1989. If anyone can help with any information I would be very grateful :)

Thank you

hi Cynthia I was in your class one of them anyway miss fincham (fanny) I met you again some years later in an office up town tha were a bonny lass Im 82 now still enjoying life

soon be catching me up billy

is that Cynthia that lived on windmill lane

all the best arthur