Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Mick and Bryan mills spring to my memory as do ray and Ron Eagle. The Whitham family lived at the top of Kepple Road at the junction with Concord Road. I cannot recall Terry Ashton though. I do not think you and I would have met, you living on Shregreen Lane and me at the lower end of Shiregreen.
I Remember just one of the Whithams but I can't remember his first name but he'll be about 66 ish now, if he's still around He used to have thick black curly/wavey hair..Another lad I remember from that area had the knickname of "Toddles" I think his name is Hancock.

There is not a post master on the shops i was on about.

:| :| Bloke i know derrick darby lives on shiregreen, hesgot a couple of pubs, anyone no him?

yeah i know Derrick nice chap all way's been right by me, dunt he run the bowling green down grimthorp?

Glynn (lower shire)

I was born at 14 Keppel Road, February 1945.

Don't remember much as my parents moved to Parson Cross when I was about 3 years old.

Strangely, about this time (1945) I do remember the sky filled with dots and a droning sound. I can only put it down to a mass of airplanes going over Sheffield sometime mid 1945 - but then, I was only a few months old. Maybe I was hallucinating on Mothers milk :)

There must have been a park nearby as my brothers and I used to ride on a small roundabout and get knocked around as we fell off. My eldest brother developed some sort of blood poisoning when he stood on a rusty old nail left in the park.

As a bub I remember bouncing on Mum's fleecy covered bed spread, thinking I was in clouds. Also, I remember having nightmares of running out the front gate at night and onto the street naked.

Funny how things can jog the memory 58 years later.

Sorry to say that is that bad. People who live on the estate have no respect for grass verges or for the upkeep of their own gardens. Often the worst offenders are the ones who have moved from elsewhere and bought the property from the council. Shops open until late and actively encourage loitering youths some of whose parents work at the premises in question. (Co-op)

yes it's bad people parking on the grass verges and something needs to be done about it in shiregreen, but how can you say homeowners are the worst offenders. prove it! i'm sure there must be good and bad council tenants and the same must be true for homeowners. have you done an extensive survey? do you know who owns every car you've seen parked on the verge? if you haven't you can't back up your claim and hence your views have no statistical basis. please avoid sweeping statements. one thing that is a worry is the speed that some people drive on the narrrow streets.

Am moving into a houseshare on sycamore house road tomorrow as have had to leave a violent husband who im going 2 divorce, so left Doncaster so he wont find where im living, will still be commuting to Doncaster for work till I can find a job in the local area or somewhere in Sheffield. There is only my best mate who lives at firth park that I know in the local area, although my live in landlord seems fairly friendly, am looking for more friends in the local area and people to go out with n whether its better to go out local or go into the city centre

we moved onto hartley brook rd in 2000. I used to park on road until i realised joyriders was out bouncing over roundabout and heading for my car, im sorry but i was straight up on verge. maybe the best thing could have been to tarmac verges, not as pretty but maybe a solution. The problem could ease after the refurbishments have been completed and a lot of people will have drives.

I used to live in Shiregreen but recently i've just moved upto Manor! :)

great memories of shiregreen, my aunt and uncle lived on WOOLEY WOOD ROAD in the 1950s/1960s called Edna and Arnold Turton, daughter called hazel.

They owned a yellow Lambretta with sidecar which i think must have been one of the first in Sheffield..

I was born at 14 Keppel Road, February 1945.

Don't remember much as my parents moved to Parson Cross when I was about 3 years old.

Strangely, about this time (1945) I do remember the sky filled with dots and a droning sound. I can only put it down to a mass of airplanes going over Sheffield sometime mid 1945 - but then, I was only a few months old. Maybe I was hallucinating on Mothers milk :)

I think the dots in the sky you remember could have been kites. In 1945 as the war ended kites (which had been outlawed for some reason during the war years) became a craze ...I remember as a 6 year old seeing hundreds of

them filling the skys over Concord park ..they did look like dots.

Hi Timbuck where abouts on Shiregreen did you live? I was born in January 1941 on Kepple Road.

hi, my father and family lived on Keppel Rd from the 30s. Flanagans. Do you remember them ?

My parents moved to Shirehall Rd. just after the house was built, 1933. Iwas born in 1932, we stayed in Shirehall Rd. until 1940, we then moved to Hatfield House lane, in 1947 we moved to Masters Rd Parson Cross. My memories of those times, even allowing for the trauma of war, were of happy times & a wonderful childhood.